How is it to stay over in Pompeii?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1st, 2006, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I tend to be a bit contrarian.. I can see that Sorrento is lovely but I think I'd like to stay in Pompeii as a base for visiting the ruins, Vesuvius, Ercolano and Sorrento/coastal views.

I like convenience to the train (walking distance with bag), a room with twin beds, TV and a minibar, and an inexpensive price of 90-110€. I've looked at quite a few Sorrento choices and nothing really spoke to me. There seems to be a wider range of hotels at my price in Pompeii than in Sorrento. We'll be out sightseeing all day so I don't really care to pay a premium for sea views that will be only briefly appreciated.

So - has anyone stayed over in Pompeii? Are there at least a few good choices for dinner? What were the drawbacks?

Thanks for your information.

p.s. this is research for a trip most likely in 2007, as we're committed for 2006 already (!).
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 09:49 AM

did any of the places you saw in Popmeii "speak to you"? If so, what do you care if anyone else has stayed there? There are lots of great hotel in Sorrento that are probably as close to the train as in Pompeii. Personally, what I saw of the city around the ruins left a little to be desired. Not much for strolling, shopping or restaurants after visiting the ruins. My opinion of course. At least staying in Sorrento would give you many more choices after your day in Pompeii, plus a beautiful city to boot.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, this is what I am looking for... I have no idea what the town of Pompeii itself is like...
I've seen reference to the "new town"... what does that mean exactly?
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 10:40 AM

We stayed one night in Pompeii in order to see the ruins and really wished we had not (and visited the ruins as a day trip). The new city (as opposed to the ruins) has very little charm...mostly touristy little shops, and we had a horrible night's sleep because the street noise was really loud (and we stayed at the #1 rated hotel on Trip Advisor). The AC did work properly and the there were no other rooms to put us into. While the ruins were truly fabulous, the night in Pompeii ranks as the lowest in 4 weeks in Italy. Our family still jokes about that horrible night in Pompeii!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 11:33 AM

You're better off in Sorrento. It's only 30 mins from Pompeii via the Circumvesuviana. The "new" (modern) town of Pompei is not very interesting, whereas Sorrento is quite charming. I used Sorrento myself as a base for visiting Pompeii, Herculaneum (Ercolano), and Naples.

But if you feel like you really should stay at Pompeii, there is a hotel walking distance from the train station (about 10-15 mins? I don't remember) called the Villa dei Misteri. I have not stayed there, but I know colleagues who have. It's on the Via Villa dei Misteri, on the way to--guess what--the ancient Villa of the Mysteries, which is a villa suburbana outside the ancient town.

But I vote for Sorrento.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 12:49 PM

I agree with those recommending Sorrento or another Amalfi Coast destination. While Pompeii is fantastic the surrounding area is not, IMHO.
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 01:44 PM

I agree with what's already been said-- Pompeii is a little dicey and not all that charming. Have you looked into B&B's in Sorrento? It seems to me there have been some posts about these recently, and that some of them were in your price range. Good luck!
Old Jan 1st, 2006, 02:25 PM
Original Poster

OK... so no redeeming values for the town of Pompeii.. thanks for all your input... I asked this question as it had just occurred to me, but I won't be doing much more hotel research right now - starting my "spring cleaning" a bit early! Ciao!