Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How far is London Heathrow to downtown London?

Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have a layover at London Heathrow on our way home from Nice to New York. Just wondering if it is worth the trouble and expense -or if we even have enough time- to see London a bit.

Right now we only have a 4 hour hour layover so that is probably not enough time to see or do anything. I am just wondering if it would be worth it to take a later flight out of London so that we would a few more hours there. I do not think that we will have to pay a change fee so will not incur an extra expense for that.

How far away is the airport, though, from some of the major sights, and how much would it coast for transportation?

Thanks to all who can help.
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:31 PM

it is probably 10-15 miles, but the last few miles are tough traffic wise if you are in a car....you can take the underground and that takes perhaps 30-45 minutes depending on where you are going....

in 4 hours you could do nothing, given immigration, both in and out....

with a later flight you could probably go over to windsor castle which is only maybe 8 miles away---take a taxi to and from and visit the castle, but i wouldn't consider it for less than 6-8 hours....

plus my experience on flying from nice to either paris or london is that the flights are always late....
Old Apr 5th, 2003, 07:46 PM

It is approx 20 miles from LHR to the center of London. It is a 15 minute train ride to Paddington station. With only 4 hours of course you don't have time to do anything except check in for your flight and get a bite to eat.

if you have around 6 hours you could go over to Windsor - but only if you have checked your bags straight through. You'd have a couple of hours to take a cab over, walk along the river, see the outside of the castle, have a pub meal, perhaps go inside the castle for about 30+ minutes and take a cab back. A lot depends on what time of day you land - if it is early morning nothing opens until 10 AM so you would be better off just staying at the airport.

If you have more than 6 hours you could take a whirlwind trip into London - 15 mins each way by train and a 2 hour check in means you really need - but I would probably only do that if I had 8 hours so I could actually see something and have a meal before heading back to LHR.

Old Apr 6th, 2003, 06:22 AM

4 hours is not enough time to do anything, just stay at the airport and kill time. I would never risk missing a flight to try and see something in so few hours. Not to be gloomy, but the tube can be unreliable at times and even the Heathrow Express can have problems. You can always get something to eat and walk around the stores,before you know it it will be time to check in again.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 09:38 AM

Happy-
THe LONDON airport is terrific- If you are into shopping, it is superb!!

You do NOT have enough time given the new security checkins to leave the airport and return--in 4 hrs-

How about trying to overnite in London and coming home the following day- then you would be able to get into London for the day and evening...and stay at a hotel at the airport?
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:28 AM

I disagree. If they give you a boarding pass in Nice for the London-New York flight, you save more time. Don't carry too much carry-on luggage. Try to sit near the front of the plane. Upon arrival, head directly to the taxi stands. You can save time if you have pound sterling in hand. If not, race to the bank.

After getting a taxi, head to Windsor.

If you want to see central London, you can take the Heathrow Express to London and see one thing. A quick tour to the National Gallery. A walk around Oxford Street or somewhere else. Then head back to the airport. You may have 60 minutes in central London. You will enjoy the 60 minutes! If you don't do it, you may have to wait months or years to see London. In the meantime, your husband may have a heart attack or al-Qaeda may set off a nuclear explosion in London and ruin it for 50 years. Take avantage of fun while you have the chance.

I once had an enjoyable visit to Utrecht while connecting at Amsterdam. I rushed like a madman to get to Utrecht but stopped to enjoy Utrecht (and wasn't in a rush). That was 5 years ago. If I didn't do it, I would not have seen Utrecht and won't have a chance for at least 2-3 years from now.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 10:29 AM

If you do it, why not print out diagrams from the Heathrow website (www.baa.co.uk) and Heathrow Express. You will have some time and people may even ask YOU for directions!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 11:04 AM

Planning is the key. Consider two couples, Mr and Mrs. A and Mr.and Mrs. Z. Arrival at LHR: 1200, Leave for New York at 4 p.m.

Mr. and Mrs. A:
12:05 off the plane, used the lavatory on the plane
12:20 on the Heathrow Express
12:55-2:00 In Central London enjoying it!
2:20 On the Heathrow Express, eating a sandwich that they made in France
2:50 getting screened at security
3:15 waiting at the gate with plenty of time to spare.

Mr. and Mrs. X
12:00 to 4:00 waiting, clipping their fingernails, walking in circles.

Mr. and Mrs. Z
12:00 arrive
12:07 get off the plane, they were sitting at the rear
12:15 go to the bathroom
12:35 wander a bit, exchange money
1:00 find the check in line
1:20 get a boarding pass
1:30 wander to the Heathrow Express, figure out where to buy a ticket
2:05 wander in Central London
3:10 spend that 60 minutes in London
3:30 get back to Paddington station
4:00 catch the Heathrow Express, you have missed your flight.

See how advanced planning can help!
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 02:41 PM

The shopping is great at Heathrow so I would not leave the airport.
Old Apr 6th, 2003, 03:10 PM

Would anyone know the best way to get from Salisbury to LHR? My flight leaves at 2.15 in the afternoon for Barcelona, and I want to make sure I make it one time!
Is there service directly from Salisbury (which I am doubting) or do I need to get a train into London and then to LHR? And one more thing - is my railpass valid for travel beteen London and LHR?

Thanks in advance!