How far is it?

Old Aug 15th, 1997, 07:36 PM
L. Montgomery

How far is it?

We will be ending a Cruise in Dover England and must get to Gatwick Airport...does anyone know how long this will take? How many miles?

Have heard about train, is it faster than a cab? any information will be appreciated. Thank you.

Old Aug 16th, 1997, 12:40 AM
tom zsigo

From Dover Docks to Gatwick airport is 81 miles. A cab would cost a small fortune, I would guess around 50 ?? I know that there is a train from Victoria station in London every 15 minutes to gatwick (less at night), and i'm sure you'll easily get to London by train from Dover. I would check with your criuse operator, or even get them to book the train for you. Have a great trip. Tom - The Lion Inn, http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~zsigo

Old Aug 16th, 1997, 01:39 PM
tricia

Just left London yesterday and used the Gatwick Express from London to Gatwick Airport. Recommend taking 1st class. On regular class you take luggage in yourself and on 1st class you can buy drinks, sit on big chairs with tables and luggage goes in baggage car. You can buy tickets at train station 5 minutes before it leaves and they also have self serve machines but they need exact change. For a 30 miles trip it was 14 pounds each adult and 7pounds for child. The taxi was l6 pounds to go 8 miles with 3 of us in the car. I think I picked up a brochure on the train and they might even have a website. If you need any further help let me know.

Old Aug 16th, 1997, 10:08 PM
SGorcester

The above messages are probably correct, that it's best to take the train from Dover to London then the Gatwick Express from Victoria Station. You can double check with British Tourist Authority in LA or New York (212) 581-4700 (I think they have an 800 number but you'll have to call 800 directory assistance unless someone else posts it. The train from Brighton to London passes through Gatwick but I don't think there is a direct way from Dover.

If you take the train to London, be sure to get a fast train (express). There are fast, semi-fast and slow trains all determined by the number of stops. The slow train is what we Yanks would call a local (painful!). The Gatwick express takes about 30 mins and costs about 8 pounds. It's a very easy trip. There may also be motor coach service from Dover to Gatwick, but I would take the train and try to spend any amount of extra time touring London.

Old Aug 16th, 1997, 10:29 PM
SGorcester

Just found my map of Southeast Trains! There is a way from Dover to Gatwick via Tonbridge. This would be much more direct than going through London. The route runs from Dover through Ashford then appears to require a transfer at Tonbridge, then right in to the Gatwick terminal station. Train access to Gatwick is delightfully simple. You end up right under the terminal building.