how expensive is it?

Mar 17th, 2002, 08:10 AM
steve

how expensive is it?

We are traveling for two weeks to Scotland/Ireland in June. Can anyone give us an idea of costs per day i.e. food/gas/sightseeing. We are taking our two children.

We have our accomodation and have rented a car already. Thanks.

Mar 17th, 2002, 10:17 AM
lola

i'm assuming you are american - if so, petrol (ie gas) is markedly more expensive than you are used to but shouldn't break the bank! there are some very good ferry deals between scotland & ireland if you are taking the car over, check out stena & p&o's websites for deals, also newspapers such as Sunday Mail & Daily Record, who have a joint websire (sorry dont know the address!) many museums (in glasgow at least) are free and for a very affordable day out you might want to take your kids to the Time Capsule in Coatbridge near glasgow, a pre-historic themed pool & ice-rink. glasgow science centre, burrell collection, celtic park / ibrox stadium (all glasgow) may be of interest. food is not overly expensive outside some of the more upscale establishents, but i think edinburgh is dearer, and dublin in ireland. enjoy your trip!

Mar 20th, 2002, 03:50 PM
steve

Thanks Lola.

We are staying in Troon for an evening. Any info? We are travelling from Canada.

Mar 21st, 2002, 06:56 AM
Julie

Fodor's and Rick Steves break it down daily as roughly $10.00 for lunch, $20.00 for dinner, $5.00 for a beer or cappucino, plus $15.00 for sightseeing fees and a few souvenirs. I don't know about gas costs.

We didn't usually end up spending $20.00 for dinner because we tended to grab a bite in pubs or ethnic joints, though we did a few times. And certainly the children's meals will cost less than the adults if you're children are young.

I found to my surprise that I spent way more on souvenirs than I had anticipated! There were so many lovely things to buy in the cathedral souvenir shops and other stores.

Hope this helps! Have a fabulous time!
Julie

Mar 23rd, 2002, 02:54 PM
xxx

xxx

Mar 23rd, 2002, 03:02 PM
xxxxxx

It's as expensive as you make it be..the petrol will be considerably higher but you'll get considerably more milage per liter than at home...you can eat in pubs or 4 star restaurants, make picnics or stop for expensive fast food...I'd allow at least $100.00 per day not counting your rooms and car.

we have spent $2000.00 for a week in Paris and another time $800.00, it just depends on what you do or want