Best Etruscan sites?

Mar 10th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Carol

Best Etruscan sites?

Which Etruscan site do you think is the most interesting away from the coast?
and why?

Mar 10th, 2002, 06:40 PM
Joe

I've only visited one Etruscan site, Tarquinia, and found it very impressive. Both the museum and the graves were fascinating.

Mar 10th, 2002, 09:08 PM
Santa Chiara

I recommend Chiusi. The archeological site is not nearly as extensive as Tarquinia, but the tombs are very well preserved and are in a lovely wooded setting. The small museum contains some of the most incredible scuptures I have seen anywhere. If you saw some of these figures in a contemporary museum, you would swear they had been executed by a 20th-century artist.

Mar 13th, 2002, 02:57 PM
Lorraine

Volterra in Tuscany has a superb Etruscan museum.

Mar 21st, 2002, 05:23 PM
Mark

Carol, Presumably when you say "away from the coast" you're excluding Tarquinia, Cerveteri, Roselle and Vetulonia, all of which are fascinating but from different angles. I don't know Chiusi, but from what Santa Chiara says, the site sounds wonderful. Orvieto is also interesting - apart from the necropolis, there is a fascinating guided tour of underground Orvieto, and you can see where the Etruscans tunnelled to get down to the water table. My favourite town in the Etruscan heartland is Tuscania - some interesting finds in the museum, and sarcophagi seemingly scattered around the town!

Mark

Mar 23rd, 2002, 10:37 AM
Frank

The Etruscan museum in Perugia is a must-see -- very interesting display of tombs seemingly lifted intact and reconstructed on site, with other artifacts, examples of Etruscan writing, etc.

Mar 23rd, 2002, 04:22 PM
Helen Donegan

Hi Carol
I wrote an article about the Etruscans in the second issue of my ezine:
http://www.italywithus.com/ezine/apr...1/may_2001.htm
and this is a great site:
http://members.tripod.com/%7ECentime...ans/index.html