Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How easy is it to have decaf. coffee in Paris

Apr 30th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Susan

I know this seems like a stupid question, but after many years of drinking coffee I finally managed to decaffinate myself. However I still love coffee, so I drink decaf. Decent decaf. is not hard to find where I live, would the same be true in Paris?

Apr 30th, 2002, 01:01 PM
mary

Many places in paris have decaf..but not as common as in US. Why not take a ziplock with freeze dried (or granular decaf) and ask for hot water? Works fine.

Apr 30th, 2002, 01:08 PM
elaine

I was able to find decaf all over Paris.
Just ask for a "deca" ("Day-ka", sort of. I think not finding it would be the exception rather than the rule.

Apr 30th, 2002, 01:10 PM
Susan

Thank you for making a suggestion Mary, but that route is not for me. If I can't have fresh brewed decaf. coffee there is no point to drinking it as I'm only drinking it for the flavor.

Apr 30th, 2002, 01:15 PM
clairobscur

What Elaine said...

Apr 30th, 2002, 01:21 PM
pam

Unfortunately you will often get Sanka instead of real decaf. I usually go the tea route when traveling, or brew my own (sounds like we feel the same way about coffee). I have a tiny Zyliss travel drip coffee maker that works great. Also, a friend just got me a 1-cup travel French press from Peet's that works well. It looks like a commuter mug; just add hot water/coffee, wait four minutes and press. Only disadvantage over the Zyliss is that you need hot water, wheras the Zyliss runs on electricity. Good luck!

Apr 30th, 2002, 01:34 PM
aj

Susan,

I have ordered decaf on my past two trips to Paris and have always had good coffee. I am sure that it has not been Sanka (instant). Just give it a try and see if you like it.

Apr 30th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Susan

Thanks for all the advice everyone. You know when you have not much left to plan for your vacation when you are asking about the coffee.

Apr 30th, 2002, 05:05 PM
amy

Decaf coffee in Paris has changed in a very short amount of time. Just a few years ago,decaf in Paris meant Sanka and that ilk. One year ago, I started noticing "real" decaf coffee in a few places. Last fall, that increased tremendously.

So while I don't think "real" decaf will be everywhere, I think you have a decent shot now.

May 1st, 2002, 07:27 PM
dick

u may be surprised at how good nescafe instant decaf is. we found it served at some breakfasts with a pot of hot water and the tubular packet of the instant.

May 1st, 2002, 07:33 PM
xxx

I wouldn't be surprised at all -- I've tasted the stuff and it's horrible. But then some people like food at Red Lobster or milk shakes at MacDonald's, so there's no accounting for taste.

May 1st, 2002, 07:36 PM
StCirq

Very easy. Just ask for a décaf.