Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How early to check in for flight to CDG when originating flight is domestic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be flying from SFO - CDG in a couple weeks. The first leg goes from SFO - ORD, where I transfer to another flight which then flies nonstop to CDG. When I called United, they said to check in at least 2 hours early, even though I was departing from the domestic terminal at SFO.

Is there a reason I would need to check in earlier than other folks traveling from SFO to ORD and transferring to other (domestic) flights? The UA agent I spoke with gave me odd (wrong) information about another question, so my radar sort of went off. TIA
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:34 PM

I don't apply the full 3 hours ahead rule when I depart my local airport... on the other hand, I *do* get there earlier than domestic-only flights because I sure don't want anything to get between me and the first flight outta here on my way to Europe. If you're late there is no help or compensation.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM
ira

Hi T,

>check in at least 2 hours early, even though I was departing from the domestic terminal at SFO.

Is there a reason I would need to check in earlier than other folks traveling from SFO to ORD ...<

Down here, we always plan to arrive 2 hr ahead at ATL for domestic flights - 3hr for Intl.

Old Oct 14th, 2007, 02:55 PM
P_M

I asked that question of American Airlines and got the following reply:

Even though the first segment is domestic, it's still considered an international flight because you are traveling overseas, so the early check-in rule stands.

The way I see it, it's not worth the risk--just get there 2 hours early as recommended.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:37 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. But does anyone know if the 2-hour check-in rule has anything to do with when they potentially give seats away, or simply the amount of time they encourage passengers to give themselves in order to clear security?

I'm planning to get there in plenty of time, but just in case, there's another flight (with plenty of seats) that leaves after mine with the same CDG connection. I had the option of booking the later one originally, but opted to give myself more time to change planes in ORD.

For domestic flights, I never plan to arrive at SFO more than an hour ahead of flight time, even when checking bags.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:49 PM

2hr is a suggestion. But in general, international bags have to be accepted at least an hour before departure, while for most airline/airport it's 30 minutes for domestic. An agent will also have to check your passports.

So, to answer your question in the first post, yes, there's reason to get to the airport earlier for international flights compared to domestic. But no rule says you have to be there 2 hours prior.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM
P_M

tpl, I've been to SFO and the lines were so long, I thought we would never get through. I'm sure you've been there a lot more times than I have, but I still say get there 2 hours early. The worst that will happen is you will have more time to kill while waiting for your flight. If that happens, make good use of your time. Go grab a beer/wine/other drink of choice.

Have a good trip.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:56 PM
tpl
Original Poster

Thanks rkkwan, that's exactly what I wanted to know.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've encountered what P_M says. It counts as an international flight, because eventually that's where you are going. I know it doesn't make sense but that's how the airline looks at it.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 07:36 PM

I don't know if this is true in the US, but overseas I have seen signs at least twice that check-in must be completed at least one hour before departure, otherwise you have missed the flight.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I would say that the 3-hour rule exists because there are always first time travelers on an international flight and they need to have the extra time to completely repack their luggage right there on the airport floor or rush home to get their passports. People who are used to international flights don't need to be there that early.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Three hours is generally when international airlines open their check-in counters at non-hub airports.

They don't want you to get there earlier, as you'll be mad at them. But they also want you to start arriving around that time, in order to avoid the rush around 90- to 120-minute before flight time when most people traditionally arrive for their international flight.

Have I arrived 3 hours before an international flight? Sure I have. For a 12-noon flight out of CDG, I can't do much in Paris in the morning anyways, so getting there 9am or 10am has little difference.

But other times, especially at airports I'm more familiar with or if I have elite status to go through security quickly, I arrive much later.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 09:19 PM

I just wanted to add on to what one poster said about an agent needing to check your passport. That's what I thought, too, but on my last international flight, the automatic check-in machines will scan your passport and there was no need to go to a human agent.
Old Oct 15th, 2007, 05:23 AM

I thought the general rule for domestic flights is 2 hours before flight time, so I'm not sure what is being asked. It is to clear security, etc. The flight desk won't even be manned until 45 minutes before the flight so it has nothing to do with "giving seats away", in my opinion.
If I'm headed to Europe, as another poster said, the last thing I want to do is miss a flight leg.