Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How does US credit card rental car coverage work in UK?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2023, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As some of you know, credit cards issued in the US provide coverage to rental cars. I just talked to my CC and they advised I should decline the CDW included for free with UK car hire to get the CC rental coverage, because declining the CDW is a condition for coverage. This doesn't make any sense. As I explained to them, the included CDW is free of charge, I won't get any money back by declining it, and it has huge deductible (called "excess") up to 2000 GBP, and I was hoping they would cover that. Why would the CC want to cover the entire value of the car instead of up to 2000 GBP? But they said that's what the document stipulates!
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 05:32 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Every credit card has different coverage.
I don't know the answer to your specific question but I have coverage out the wazoo and still opted for the additional supercoverage for $200 more at the counter in Marseilles, France.
At this age, I don't want to worry about anything.
I've read too many trip reports with people stressing about fender benders and other rental car problems.
In Italy a few years ago, I was shocked to see a scuffed bumper as we were leaving a parking lot. Oh no! I dreaded dealing with problems on trips.
On our last night I took wipes out to the car and was amazed I could wipe away the scuff. Very relieved.
So I pay for "extra" coverage. Because $200 is cheap "insurance" IMO.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starrs
Every credit card has different coverage.
I don't know the answer to your specific question but I have coverage out the wazoo and still opted for the additional supercoverage for $200 more at the counter in Marseilles, France.
At this age, I don't want to worry about anything.
I've read too many trip reports with people stressing about fender benders and other rental car problems.
In Italy a few years ago, I was shocked to see a scuffed bumper as we were leaving a parking lot. Oh no! I dreaded dealing with problems on trips.
On our last night I took wipes out to the car and was amazed I could wipe away the scuff. Very relieved.
So I pay for "extra" coverage. Because $200 is cheap "insurance" IMO.
Well, paying $200 for extra coverage would be excessive given UK car rentals already include CDW with something like 500-2000 deductible. I wouldn't be stressed out for a potential 2000 GBP charge. Maybe a little stressed if no coverage at all. In any event, you can purchase your own excess coverage with your insurance company that would cover the 500 to 2000 deductible for like $50.

Last edited by bh2367; Aug 7th, 2023 at 05:52 PM.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 06:01 PM

We each have our comfort levels. I'll do the same when "driving on the wrong side of the road" if I opt to rent a car in the UK again.

"In any event, you can purchase your own excess coverage with your insurance company that would cover the 500 to 2000 deductible for like $50."

My insurance company recommended the extra coverage at the counter in the Netherlands a few years ago. I was on the phone for hours (before I left home), trying to sort out the different options. When my insurance company recommended the extra coverage, that was good enough for me.

$200 is peanuts in the total cost of the trip.

Works for me.

Old Aug 7th, 2023, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by bh2367
Why would the CC want to cover the entire value of the car instead of up to 2000 GBP?
Because...?
"But they said that's what the document stipulates!"

What is your CC?
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 06:48 PM

Here's a detailed description of using MC for coverage in the UK -
https://www.autoeurope.com/mastercar...car-insurance/
Including...
"

WHAT DO I NEED TO DO TO USE MASTERRENTAL INSURANCE ON MY NEXT RENTAL?

In order to use your MasterCardName:  peugeot-308.jpg
Views: 645
Size:  8.2 KB MasterRental insurance, you'll need to decline any other collision and theft coverage offered for your rental, pay your rate in full with your valid MasterCard, and rent the car under the same name printed on the credit card used. MasterRental does cover additional drivers, but only so long as they are properly authorized with the car rental company you book with.

Always bring official documentation from MasterCard with you when you pick up your rental to prove that you are properly covered and can decline the rental company's own insurances."

Italy, Ireland, Northern Ireland = Countries excluded (see chart at link)

Last edited by starrs; Aug 7th, 2023 at 06:50 PM.
Old Aug 7th, 2023, 08:20 PM

A classic = "I can't believe we didn't take the insurance"
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starrs

$200 is peanuts in the total cost of the trip.

Works for me.
Well, I'm afraid that's not how the math works, Without the $200 superdooper coverage you spoke of, you will be on the hook for the excess, which is only 500-2000 anyway. That is, you are paying $200 to avoid a very, very small chance of paying 500 to 2000. Sounds like you should learn to calculate expected value (basic probability/statistics). If you pay $20 for excess insurance (from third party insurer, not the car rental co) even that 500-2000 will be covered. Lastly, whether you purchase the superdooper coverage has nothing to do with the cost of the entire trip. Those are entirely separate things. You should learn to keep separate things separate in your head, so you can think clearly and not scare yourself to death with worrying about everything including bison strike.
Old Aug 8th, 2023, 05:56 AM

LOL
I'm not scared of anything. I have no worries because I'm fully covered. The bison video is just funny = "I can't believe we didn't take the insurance!".

So now you can thank me for providing the answer to the question you were asking.
Or not. Up to you.

Just for kicks - you could go back in Fodors' history to read posts from folks who tried to deal with claims from overseas incidents that weren't fully covered by CC coverage. I based my $200 decision on their experiences. "Worth it" to me. You do what works for you.

And of course, you'll have to do your own research to find out what YOUR cc covers.

But you asked -
"Why would the CC want to cover the entire value of the car instead of up to 2000 GBP? But they said that's what the document stipulates!"

Because that's how it works. See post #6 for the MC answer.

Last edited by starrs; Aug 8th, 2023 at 06:04 AM.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 01:45 PM

I don't understand. If the CDW is covered by the contract I am then liable for a deductible. If I waive the CDW, then I am fully covered by my credit card for the damages to my rental. Or did I miss something? The one time I filed a claim I was fully covered. But I had to pay for the damage and then request a reimbursement from the CC company.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 02:06 PM

The process is outlined by your credit card.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 04:20 PM

Here is a generic article that describes how widely different the factors can be.
https://www.yahoo.com/video/tips-dec...120008838.html
If you want to use the coverage via your CC, you need to follow that CC's policy. That is card specific.
The article also describes some of the problems with relying on CC coverage of a rental car.
Old Aug 9th, 2023, 11:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
starrs, great explanation