How do you travel to Paris in March with just a carry on

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In many of the other posts, people say they go to Europe with just a carry on. We are traveling for a week in March - which is pretty cool weather- and I don't see how you can pack warm clothing in just a carry on. Please let me know any hints that you may have. My jacket would take up 1/2 the bag!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:05 AM

you wear your jacket on the plane.

some young adults were just at ourhouse from the states fro several days and they were travelling later in italy for several weeks.
both had a carry on. i was impressed.

others will tell you how to do it.

besides "wearing the jacket on the plane", i will take note.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:09 AM

take 3 pair of pants that travel well, mix/match shirts and a couple of sweaters. I usually try to take one pair of shoes that will go with all the outfits I can put together with the clothes I'm taking. Buy or take some colorful scarves to change the look even more.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:11 AM
ira

Hi R,

Take all of the things you think you need, and remove 1/2.

This should fit your carryon.

Also, you are allowed one carryon and one "personal item", this is a tote bag.

You can do it.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:16 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Very easy. You don't need to take lots of heavy clothes. You want to dress in layers - a blouse under a light sweater under a coat or jacket or sweater. I usually take two pair of slacks (plus the ones I wear on the plane) and lots of tops that all mix/match. Sometimes I take a skirt or dress too. I put one heavy-ish cardigan in the suitcase and wear my coat and another sweater or light jacket on the plane. The coat goes in the overhead and my carryon is barely 75% full.

It will not be cold indoors so if all you have are heavy/warm things you will be pretty miserable a lot of the time.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - meant to add -- It is important to take warm socks, gloves, a couple of scarves/pashmina. These don't take up any room but really help when it is cold. And don't forget a small umbrella.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:22 AM

I'll be going to France for 10 days in March with just a carry-on (22" rollaboard).

I'll wear my jacket (three-quarter-length rainproof with belted waist, hood, and zip-out lining) on the plane, as noted.

I'm bringing jeans this time (may actually wear those on the plane, too, as they're heavy) because I'm going to be doing renovations on my home over there, plus one pair of wool-blend pants and another pair of slacks, four long-sleeved knit tops, two sweaters (one pullover, one cardigan, one fairly dressy mid-calf skirt, one nice blouse, underwear, pajamas, and socks.

Everything else (gloves, scarf,change of underwear in case the luggage gets lost, paperwork, wallet, etc.) goes in my handbag.

There'll be room left over in the suitcase to bring treasures home.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:22 AM

If I pack right, the suitcase works for 3 days or 3 weeks. Don't worry about a variety of outfits, because noone will see you on consecutive days - or cares if they did.

I travel in black jeans with a bit of stretch on the plane. I like pockets for ID and credit cards, money and chapstick for the plane. I brought other pants for Paris - but wore the same black jeans every day in Paris. (I was ready for the capris in Provence )

Extra pair of shoes with socks. Underwear. Rotate shirts/sweaters and tops during the trip. Pack for 3 days and rotate the clothes and add fresh underwear for rest of the week. Choose toiletries carefully. Have fun!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 08:40 AM

We did it, but we had a washer in our flat. With that said, we checked out bags on the way home and were much happier!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:31 AM

I did a week in December. Took a pair of jeans, khakis and slacks. Never wore the slacks (for dress up, y'know). For shirts I had long-sleeved Tees, camisoles, two turtlenecks. And for a coat, I had my trench with lining plus a wool jacket as an extra shell (for being outside all day).
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:36 AM

did anyone mention 'longjohns'..? Long 'silk'/similar underwear, ladies brand name "Cuddl-duds", for instance. Cuts wind and keeps in body warmth.

One week = one outfit on the plan + 2 or 3 more. Wear things at least twice, hang and air in-between. Mix&match, add scarves to change color, etc.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM

weeeellll... if you simply are going to be in Paris... one doesn't necessarily HAVE to take a carry-on, particularly if your flight is non-stop.
It is not a law or old charter or something. One can check one's luggage.
I never have lost a piece.
I went to Paris in late November. Non-stop from Philadelphia...took my long cashmere coat, a rain coat with an insert and my leather jacket; dress shoes, 2 kinds of walking shoes...and combo's of black and camel colored clothing.
If I was going to Europe and was going to go around-and-about on trains, you can bet your sweet whatever that I'd have just done the raincoat and then I could have just had a carry-on.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:42 AM

European shops, Carrefour or Tesco or Whatever...Winter clothing is available at very low (USA) prices. USA credit cards work!
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 09:43 AM

I was in Paris last March and November. I wear my wool overcoat onto the plane, and put it in the overhead compartment. I also bring a parka with a hood (see below), but no umbrella.

Use an EagleCreek Pack-It folder for shirts and pants, and Pack-It cubes for other items. They help with packing clothes into a smaller space. (I can fit a lightweight Gore-Tex parka with hood onto a medium size cube. The parka came in handy in Paris last November when it snowed.)

Take travel size toiletries, and only the essentials. Hotels will have shampoo.

Leave the guidebooks at home. Photocopy and take only the sections you will need, and toss them when through.

Woody
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:14 AM

..can be done IF you are doing only one sort of activity. I have trouble as I often combine business and pleasure of city and countryside (city meaning friends who are much more elegant than I am and who are kind enough to have me for dinner). On a non stop flight I often even check my carryon size bag..why, one time it ended up under the seat in front of me..my legs took a day to recover..
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:18 AM

Buy some clothes in Paris. Considering the amount of clothing I bought for the trip this past long weekend, I could easily have gotten by with some underwear and a pair of pants. Of course buying clothing while on vacation can be an unpredictable affair, but the less you bring the more you've the incentive to buy.

One thing I always remember: No one knows who I am, and no one will remember if I've worn the same clothing over again.

Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:29 AM

Plan on doing laundry once. Take a nice variety of light weight tops, and a couple of heavy cardigans/sweaters that can be worn under a light weight waterproof/windproof jacket. A t-shirt with a warm sweater and jacket will keep you warm down to about freezing. You don't need many "bottoms". Only pack one pair of shoes, and make them a lightweight slightly dressy pair. Wear a good pair of walking shoes, your bulkiest pants and sweater on the plane. I don't wash underwear in the sink. I plan to do laundry every 10 days on a trip, and bring 10 pairs with me. I really don't think undies take up that much space.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:38 AM

You can also turn your t-shirts and undies inside out and wear them twice
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 10:52 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am a reasonably light packer but I check my 22-24" suitcase and carry-on only an appropriate sized tote with what I need for the flight, anything that can't be easily replaced (prescription meds, glasses), and sometimes a change of clothes.

I could not pack for cool weather in a carry-on and honestly don't see the point. I know it's a badge of honor for some folks here but I personally think it's silly.
Old Jan 19th, 2006, 11:00 AM

If you are only flying in and out of Paris, and staying at one hotel while you are there, there isn't really any point in limiting yourself to a carry on. If you are going to be taking trains, or more flights, or using public transportation of any sort with your bags, that is when the carry on really pays off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -