Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do you say in "we look forward to" in other languages?

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Mariarosa

Related to the topic of making reservations by internet... how would you say<BR>&quot;We look forward to staying at the hotel...&quot; in French? I took French in college, but don't remember anything that is close to the concept of &quot;looking forward to&quot; in English. Any ideas will be appreciated!<BR><BR>Also, if anyone knows how to say this in other languages, it might be helpful for others making internet reservations.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 06:57 AM
x

Try http://www.systransoft.com/

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:10 AM
Pat

You may use any of the following:<BR><BR>&quot;Nous nous r&eacute;jouissons &agrave; l'id&eacute;e de s&eacute;journer dans votre h&ocirc;tel&quot;<BR>&quot;Au plaisir de r&eacute;sider dans votre h&ocirc;tel&quot; (this one as a closing sentence)<BR><BR>Regards,

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:20 AM
xxx

Aspettiamo con impazienza

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 07:29 AM
depends

Beware that politeness formula such as &quot;we look forward to&quot; are not always used in the same way in other languages. In French, for example, they do not use this phrase as often or in the same contexts as in English. I once ended a business letter with the words &quot;J'attends notre r&eacute;union avec impatience&quot; (I'm looking forward to our meeting) and was greeted with much laughter and teasing from French colleagues (it's a very &quot;enthusiastic&quot; way of putting things in French).<BR>That said, I think in this context you could safely end a letter with &quot;Nous attendons avec impatience notre s&eacute;jour dans votre &eacute;tablissement&quot;.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 08:50 AM
Alec

In German it would be:<BR>Ich freue mich auf meinen Aufenthalt.

Old Dec 17th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Christina

I think the &quot;with impatience&quot; is a little enthusiastic in French for a business letter to a hotel. A very common way of saying this in French, and what I would use myself probably, is the phrase &quot;dans l'attente de ......(whatever, fill in the blank)&quot;<BR><BR>That is usually the phrase that French hotels will use in letters to me to say &quot;we are looking forward to hearing from you/your response/your staying here&quot;.<BR><BR>Dans l'attente de vous accueillir = looking foward to welcoming you<BR><BR>Dans l'attente de vous renconter = looking foward to meeting you<BR><BR>Dans l'attente de vous satisfaire = looking foward to serving you (that's one a business or service may send to you)<BR><BR>Dans l'attente de vous revoir = looking foward to seeing you again<BR><BR>&quot;Dans l'attente d'avoir le plaisir de vous voir&quot; is somewhat more effusive--looking foward to having the pleasure of seeing you.<BR><BR>For example, one French hotel wrote to me after my inquiry about a reservation: &quot;Dans l'attente de votre r&eacute;ponse, et esperant avoir le plaisir de vous accueillir prochainement, nous vous adressons, Madame, nos meilleures salutations.&quot; If you had French, you probably understand that, that's the idea.<BR><BR>I might write &quot;Dans l'attente de s&eacute;journer chez vous&quot; or &quot;dans l'attente de s&eacute;journer dans l'hotel&quot; or &quot;dans l'attente d'avoir le plaisir de s&eacute;journer ... &quot; <BR><BR>

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 03:52 AM
Maira

Spanish-- &quot;Esperamos con grata anticipacion nuestra estadia en su hotel&quot;.<BR><BR>Although not a direct translation to the phrase you posted, it is commonly used to convey the same idea.<BR><BR>Maribel, Maria, Pedro, what do you think?

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:00 AM
rar

Not real commomnly used in Italian I don't think.<BR><BR>Perhaps non posso aspettare could work, but I wouldnt say that in an email to a hotel

Old Dec 18th, 2002, 04:51 AM
Mariarosa

Thank you! This was very helpful for me.<BR><BR>Maira, I had also been thinking how to convey this message in Spanish and I really like your phrase.

Old Dec 20th, 2002, 03:30 PM
Maira

You welcome, Mariarosa!!! Definitely a classy move and a clever one to be polite on this type of correspondence.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 05:13 AM
xxx

In Italian, I would use &quot;aspetto con impazienza&quot; rather than &quot;non posso aspettare.&quot; The latter connotes that you are not able to wait, perhaps implying that the dates of the reservation are not feasible for you.

Old Dec 21st, 2002, 09:42 AM
tracy

French?<BR>&quot;j'anticipe&quot; for I am looking forward, in a neutral kinda way . . .