Car rental in Oban on Sunday

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2018, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All, We will be traveling to Oban Scotland in May 2018 and need to rent a car for a few days to travel to Islay. We'll be taking the ferry across at Kennacraig. We need to pick up on a Sunday, but I notice most rural rental agencies say closed Sundays. I see FLIT and Hazelbank, anyone know if Sunday pickup is an option and any recommendations on which agency? Thanks in advance. My next step is to contact them direct but I wanted to see if anyone here had insight. Cheers
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 02:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
How are you getting to Oban - train ? If so you probably need to change your plans. I have never seen a rural rental location open on a Sunday.

Where are you before Oban?
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

We'll be arriving on May 10th by train from Edinburgh. We'll be in Oban May 10, 11, 12 and I wanted to drive south on Sunday May 13. I guess I could get the car one day early on Saturday, but I didn't want to waste the money on a lost day if I didn't have to. I was hoping I could set everything up early and pick up the keys Sunday if that was an option.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 02:43 PM

>>I was hoping I could set everything up early and pick up the keys Sunday if that was an option.<<

Not likely is my guess.

I would not take the train - period. If you are in Edinburgh, head out to EDI, collect a car there and drive to Oban. Not only are the airport rental agencies open 7 days a week, there are terrific sites en route you could visit -- Doune, Kilchurn etc.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 02:44 PM

I doubt that there is a Sunday pick up option but the only way to know for sure (that they’re willing to make an exception and, sometimes small companies are ) is to contact them.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 02:50 PM

I just looked at the calendar- you arrive in Oban on a thursday . . . (I had assumed you were arriving on the Sunday)

What are you going to do for 3 days in Oban Car-less?
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Plans are to walk to see what historical sites we can, distillery tour, rent bikes, do a falconry excursion, maybe get out on the water, catch some music, etc. Eat and drink at whim!

Getting excited just thinking about it!
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Janisj, If I pick up the vehicle on Saturday instead of Sunday, do you have a good suggestion for a day trip?
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 03:19 PM

You could do a day trip to Iona using just the ferry from Oban. Here a blog I wrote on my own visit (made using a combination of ferries and a bus): http://travelhorizons.ourismantravel...e-to-iona.html
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 03:21 PM

There are some excellent possibilities for day trips from Oban. May let janisj have this one. I’d also recommend a trip over to Kerrera a small island next to Oban. They have a very small ferry and the trip takes about 5 minutes. The island is lovely with several walks, a ruined castle and even a place for a cup of tea. Google Kerrera for pictures and more information.

Regarding car rental, I again suggest you contact the agency itself. I’ve usually found small, local companies are more accommodating than larger firms. You could pick up car late Saturday and not incur any charges for that day or they may be willing to do a Sunday pick up. Try and see if you can’t come up with some solution that satisfies both parties.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

HistoryTraveler, Thanks, Kerrera sounds like a perfect activity for us. I emailed the rental agencies and will report back for future info.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old Jan 8th, 2018, 04:46 PM

Another idea if renting bikes or even if you’re not, is to ride/ walk out to Dunollie Castle just a mile or so outside of Oban. When I was there ( several times ) the castle was in absolute ruins but in a lovely setting. Now the farm that was next to it has transformed itself into a museum of the history of Dunollie and even offer tours plus there’s a tearoom and shop. Perhaps owners decided the tourist business was more lucrative than farming, but only guessing. Apparently they have completed renovations on the castle so more to see than a large pile of stones and a warning sign to keep out.

For lunch try Julia’s across from the distillery and if wanting a very nice dinner, book the Manor House. I usually stay there but they are open for non- residents.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Here’s what I found on the car rental in Oban:

I contacted FLIT Self Drive and Hazelbank Motors via email. Both responded quickly and were courteous and helpful. Hazlebank is not open Sundays and does not have any automatics in their fleet, so that is out.

FLIT is closed on Sundays and Saturdays but will make arrangements to meet you on Saturdays (as their website states). They have a Ford Focus automatic, which will suit us. So, we will have to get the car one day early than we had planned. They didn’t offer a cut rate or Sunday pick up option. They do not require an IDP, but have an insurance excess charge of £1500 for US licenses. They don’t charge if the car is returned OK. They also do not require a credit card or deposit to hold the car reservation.

This is the first and hopefully last flub on the schedule/planning. Yea, right…
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 07:45 AM

>> They do not require an IDP, <<

Well - yes. One would not an IDP anywhere in the UK since presumably your license is in English (an IDP is just a translation or your license)

Check with you credit card . . . it may (probably does) provide coverage.

When there is only one automatic in their 'fleet' (probably 5 or 6 cars total what is your plan B if it is unavailable for some reason - the previous renter damaged it or ??
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 12:35 PM

With a local company, I would imagine they will keep your request for an automatic. Just make sure they know you will only rent an automatic. I always have a plan B so think about alternatives.
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 01:41 PM

I just checked on the possibility of taking the ferry from Oban to Port Askaig on Islay. The ferry only operates on Wednesday and Saturday, as I thought, so, perhaps, Saturday might work. The ferry departs Oban late afternoon arriving about 4 hours later. You can rent cars on Islay, but again renting one on arrival will be dependent on arrival time. May be closed. If staying on Islay, you could get the car the next morning. Still a possible plan B.