Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What should I do.....Car rental not open on Sunday

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was trying to be a good Mom, staying an extra night in Paris because our kids do not arrive until evening of the 12th and we were planning on leaving for Provence on the 14th, not much time for your first time there, so I booked another night at Paris hotel and decided we would go down on the 15th, Sunday....Car rentals are closed....so here we are with a house rented in Provence on th 14th and can't pick a car up until the 16th....what would you do....probably should cancel the night in Paris and go to our house in Provence....but a 35 year old and 17 year old having only one full day in Paris doesn't seem fair.....as traveling goes it is all about the money, isn't it. BUT it is hard to believe that AVIS is closed on Sundays in the summer
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM

I'm pretty sure car rental agencies at the airports would be open on Sunday.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM

Rent a car on Friday and let it sit around for the weekend?
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM

Zerlina is probably correct. However, getting the car at the airport will probably cost a fee which is the equivalent of a day's rental (that was my experience in Scotland and in Nice). With the travel cost to the airport for one or all, it might be cheaper to pick up the car a day early and park it in a garage for 24 hours.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Original Poster

We are planning on the train......how scary would it be to drive from Paris to Avignon.....Oh my DH would not be a happy camper....I would love it....but then we would have to drop off at the train station on the return and probably would be a drop off charge. I wonder if there is another AVIS in Avignon open...I will call. Thanks
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM

I think I have this right...
You are taking the train (assuming TGV) from Paris to Avignon and picking up your car there but, the car rental place (at train station) is closed since it is Sunday. You are already staying in Paris on the 14th even though you have a house rented. I assume that one day overlap isn't too much of a concern for you.

If having an overlap of an extra day does concern you, have your children stay in Paris themselves while you go on to Provence. Then, you could pick up the car on the 14 and come back and pick them up at the station on the 15th. You could plan your day's activities around picking them up on the 15th.

Offer them this option and if you don't want to pay the bill for them to stay an extra night (which sounds like your concern of basically having two places of lodging for two nights), tell them if they want to stay an extra night, they can pay for the hotel.

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 09:59 AM
ira

Hi J,

www.kemwel.com says that youo can pickup a car at the Avignon TGV train station from 09:00-22:15

Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM

Rental offices at the Avignon TGV station are open on Sunday - who told you they weren't?

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:37 AM

Aix en Provence TGV station rental is also open on Sundays
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't go crazy over this --

either 1) find a rental agency open on Sundays -

or 2) (my preference if it were me) go down when you originally planned. A 35 yo and a 17 yo can easily handle Paris on their own and take the train down when they want to. even another day later if they wanted to see more of Paris.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Stu, Avis agent at international desk said that they were closed and that he could not take reservations for Sunday. I need to check this out. I have only picked up on Saturday in Avignon so I suppose that he is telling me policy....thanks for your replies.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM

Avis might be closed on Sunday and some agency might be open. That's why it might be best to rent through a broker like AutoEurope or Kemwel which automatically accepts or rejects a pick-up or drop-off date according to the availability of the rental agency itself on that date.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 06:43 PM

I agree with Michael. Call AutoEurope here in the States. Very easy to work with.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:11 PM
Original Poster

Yeah.....but am I going to be able to get the car of my choice with these guys.....
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 07:14 PM

Have you looked at the site?

http://www.kemwel.com/
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 08:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You really don't get "the car of your choice" w/ any agency. Somewhere in the small print it will say something like "or similar"
Old Apr 9th, 2008, 02:43 PM

As for car of your choice...

I rent a lot of cars for business and I have found that even with Avis - its about 50/50 on actually getting the car of your choice.

I wouldn't let that be the only determining factor.

There was even a Seinfeld episode about this...
"you know how to take the reservation but not KEEP the reservation"

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi J,

>am I going to be able to get the car of my choice with these guys....

Did you have a particular color in mind?

AFAIK, from whoever you rent, you get what they have available at the moment in the class you paid for.

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Oh yes Ira I had my heart set on Silver, lol no but we have always rented the little mercedes SUV, and they have it at Avis but this is not going to work, I have already printed our train tickets for arriving on Sunday and now they are not open.....what am I going to do....option staying in Avignon overnight...?
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:18 AM

Everything I've read, & inquired about on AutoEurope.com & kemwell indicates that at least 1 rental office is open on Sunday at the Avignon TGV station. I suspect all are open. The offices in Avignon that are NOT at the TGV station are all closed - which is what the Avis agent is telling you, I presume. Call AutoEurope NOW and confirm this if you don't want to believe wher Ira or me.

Don't compromise your short & costly vacation by planning it around cars.......

Stu Dudley

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information