How do you get to Chateau de Saumur?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking a day trip from Angers to Saumur by train. It is my understanding that we can walk easily from the train station to the center of town. I can't find a good map of Saumur, and would like to know how we reach the Chateau de Saumur from the heart of town? (walk, taxi, bus, etc.?)
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Long time since I was there, but the centre is compact and the castle very central and huge...Walk....a beautiful town..
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:16 PM

I can't remember where the railway station is in Saumur (I have always gone there by car). I do remember where the line crosses the river, so I can make a reasonable judgement: it is probably closer to the chateau than to the centre.

You will have no problem finding the chateau. It sits over everything on top of a steep hill. It's 5-10 minutes from the heart of town, depending on how well you walk on a steep path.

Herself and I love going up to the chateau for the views. We have been there about 5 times. We went in only once, and that was enough. The big deal about it is how handsome the exterior is, and its great setting.

There is a short boat trip you can make on the Loire, and it's quite good fun.

Good cheap-and-cheerful lunch at the Auberge St. Pierre. Try the not-quite-cheap local wine, Saumur Champigny, an elegant lightish red.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:27 PM

There is a map on the Saumur website which shows both the gare and the chateau, and it's pretty clear
www.saumur.fr
go to "plan de la ville" at the bar near the top

The SNCF gare is at the upper left corner of the map.

I don't know if it's easy or not, but you basically walk south across the river (first crossing some island) on ave Gen de Gaulle, this turns in rue F. Roosevelt after you cross the Loire, and then you'd turn left on rue Dacier which goes right towards place St Pierre, the cathedral, and the chateau. It's not clear to me, but I think it's about 2 km.

I tried mappy.fr but it wouldn't allow you to walk across that bridge, so not sure what's going on with that.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:45 PM

Well spotted, Christina. I had found that map but missed the gare because I thought it should be on the south of the river (the line crosses over just a little upriver of the area in the map). Your eyesight is probably sharper than mine!

Your directions are good, and there is no problem about crossing the bridges on foot. Rue St Jean off Rue Roosevelt is possibly a nicer option, as it's a pedestrianised street. I don't think it's even as much as 2 km.
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, susan,

saumur was the first place we stopped with our kids on our first family touring holiday to France. we and the kids really loved it.

The chateau is lovely and has a great cafe. It's a bit above the town - but only a slight walk. very nice cafes and restaurants in the town itself. [we watched the world cup - 2002 version - at screens set up outside the vaious bars]. you should be able to walk everywhere.

regards, ann
Old May 4th, 2007, 12:54 PM

no, my eyesight wasn't so great, I didn't notice it until I saw the location of the SNCF gare on some other map, and then I did spot it.

I just wondered as I tried directions on www.mappy.fr for pedestrian routes and it routed you way out of the way and across another bridge, so I wondered if that closest bridge was perhaps vehicular traffic only. But if not, it looks fairly easy.
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:07 PM

We went there about 10 years ago. If memory serves, after we'd walked up the hill to the chateau, we both agreed that it was a little more of an effort than we had expected. "Whew!" was the exact quote, I think.

But definitely worth the small effort. Beautiful views, and a beautiful chateau as well. And heck, a great town too!

Here's a pic I took while catching my breath...
http://travel.webshots.com/photo/116...53249937hdaWgX
Old May 4th, 2007, 01:37 PM

mr go wrote: ' "Whew!" was the exact quote, I think.'

Herself and I have had the same conversation. It's a vanity thing: we tackle the slope briskly, and neither of us is prepared to lose the undeclared contest by slowing down. Stopping to admire the view is such an obvious cheat that the other wouldn't buy it: the view is from the chateau outworks.
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:29 AM

Susan, we were in Saumur for 3 days in March 2005. Unfortunately, we couldn't see the interior of the castle as it was being restored. I hope they have finished the works before you get there. Try to see it lit up at night. It's absolutely magical. We had a nice view of it from our hotel room. Lovely walk from the town centre.
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. My husband is in his very late 60s, and in good health except for a foot problem, and that is my concern. However, it doesn't sound especially challenging and I think we can walk it. Christina, thanks for the map and walking directions.
Old May 7th, 2007, 03:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, susan,

why not get a cab from the station up to the chateau and then walk down through the town afterwards?

regards, ann
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:05 PM

If someone were just on their way from the Morbihan to Chinon, would this be feasible on the way?
Looks fascinating.
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:10 AM

Saumur is very close to Chinon, and you pass it en route from Morbihan. If you are going to be based in Chinon, you could visit from there, and use the transfer journey to programme stops in places you might otherwise miss (Guerande, for example).
Old May 11th, 2007, 02:36 AM
tod

Also visited the Chateau in 2005 and very disappointed not to see the interior as it was under major restoration. The most we could do was to walk not far beyond the entrance hall and told we could walk down some steps into a 'dungeon-type' cellar.
Besides the view from the surrounding gardens near the cafe, Saumur itself is wonderful! Do walk across the bridge and back, or even take a boat ride on the Loire!
Old May 11th, 2007, 06:07 AM

Padraig, I'll put it on my list. I was also hoping to see Fontevard (sp) Abbey, then go back to Chinon for the night.
Old May 11th, 2007, 07:56 AM

You can make a pleasant day out:
- Fontevraud for the morning (don't miss the old parish church outside the abbey)
- drive along the river to Saumur
- afternoon in Saumur to see the chateau, take the short cruise on the river, and simply amble about enjoying the city.
- Back to Chinon.

You pass through some good wine country (Saumur Champigny) on that route, and might be tempted to stop and sample.
Old May 15th, 2007, 12:10 PM

It's been nearly eight years since our Loire trip, but if you'd like to read our trip report you can find it here:
http://www.onelittleworld.com/loire_1.html

We really enjoyed Angers, Saumur, Fontevraud Abbey, Chinon...and a whole lot more. Hope you like it too!
Old May 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Mr. Go and Padraig, many thanks. I read the 1999 report. Wish I'd read it earlier so I could have allotted more time in the Chinon area. Oh well, I feel that way about each village or area I see in France!