Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do we order decaf coffee or tea in Italy?

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Judy

My daughter and I are leaving for Italy on Tuesday. Neither of us can tolerate much caffeine(especially after noon). I speak some Italian. How do we order decaf coffee or tea or herb tea? Thanks.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:03 AM
Tina

Judy - <BR> <BR>I always order the "hi-test", so pulled out my phrase book and they show decafeinated coffee to be "caffe decaffeinato" (pronounciation guide is as you'd imagine, "day-kaf-fay-ee-NAH-to"). <BR> <BR>Do note that when Italians have a cappuccino, it's at breakfast time (and it's SO good !!!) --- however you can usually order it later in the day. You may get an eye roll, but they understand those Americanas just don't know any better. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Rex

"Nescafe" seems to be almost universally understood to be synonymous with decaffeinated, though I have also seen it interpreted to mean simply "instant coffee". so, it wouldn't hurt to emphasize "sin caffeina" (pronounced "seen caff-fay-een-ah"). The babelfish website lists "decaffeinato" as the translation. Just write this down if you are worried about whether you are being understood. <BR> <BR>Hopefully, this would work for tea as well (obviously Naescafe doesn't work for that) - - keep in mind that such a product might not be readily available in the kinds of little places where little or no English is spoken. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:28 AM
Judy

Thanks, Tina and Rex. We will be in Venice for the better part of 9 days, so if it's available in Italy <BR>at all it should be available there, I think Are you suggesting that we may be able to get brewed, decaffinated cappucino? (That would be heaven, even if they do roll their eyes at us for ordering it, and we'd order it after noon, too -- talk about a faux pas) Also, do I say "sin" or "senza"?

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:31 AM
Rex

Oh, how embarrassing. Yes, "senza", not "sin". I get Italian and Spanish words mixed up all the time. <BR> <BR>Maybe I should have recommended "no caffeina"! lol... <BR>

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:33 AM
Judy

Oops. My message seems to missing a few full stops. Sorry.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Judy

Dear Rex, <BR>Thanks, and never apologize for being multilingual.