Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How Do I get to Bercy-Metro train station?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are arriving at Charles De Gauille Airport and plan to take an over nite train to Rome. What is the best way to get to Bercy Train station from Charles De Gauille Airport?
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:23 AM

Take RER train line B from CDG airport to Gare du Nord then switch (from one platform to another) to RER line D to Gare de Lyon, then transfer there to metro line 14 )direction Bibliotheque Fr Mitterand) and get off at the Bercy metro stop (the first stop from Gare de Lyon) and the train station is just opposite the metro stop.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

thanks, I'm printing out these directions.... This is our first trip to Europe...
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:57 PM

Rather than changing trains twice, just ride RER B to Châtelet and join Métro Ligne 14 there.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:03 PM

I was thinking the same but then i thought that RER trains only stop at Chatelet-Les Halles and not the Chatelet metro stop and there may not be a way to change from Chatelet-Les Halles to line 14 and the Chatelet metro stop??? Or there may be a walkway but it could be a long walk???
Robespierre - please clarify for me as well. Sincerely PQ.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:10 PM

According to the itinerary calculator at ratp.com, it's a 3-minute walk.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 01:31 PM

this of course would mean having to exit the system and then buying a new ticket to re-enter at Chatlet i presume.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 02:57 PM

Transfers at Chatelet Les Halles station are such a royal pain the drain (lots of walking and up and down stairs) that I try to avoid that if at all possible. Another option would be to take the Air France bus line #4(called "Les Cars", info on AF website) from CDG to Gare de Lyon, hop on Metro Line 14 and ride one stop to Bercy. The spot wehre the AGF bus drops you is quite near the street level Metro entrance (to the right of Gare de Lyon as you face it), you do not have to even go into the actual train station.
Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 03:17 PM

PalQ - If you follow Robespierre's suggestion, you do NOT have to exit the system. You just have to negotiate the tunnels connecting the RER station with the Metro station.

CHUNCHULAALVIN - Visit www.ratp.fr to download and print a Metro/RER map. The site is viewable in English.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Châtelet-Les Halles connection to line 14 is quick and extremely easy, with no long corridors. Use the same ticket from CDG to get through the turnstile from the RER to the metro system. Line 14 has the added advantage of having elevators at each station and platform in case your luggage is a problem.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 08:10 AM

Sounds like Kerouac confirms Robespierre's suggestion - take RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles and do the simple transfer to the Chatelet metro station and hop on line 14 to Bercy stop. this would be better than my original suggestion it seems as it appears it's a snap to connect from Chatelet-Les Halles to the Chatelet metro station. When you buy your RER ticket at Roissy Airport just ask for a ticket to Paris as you can use that ticket to go to any metro station in Paris - no need to asl for a ticket to Bercy.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:42 AM

The "urban section" ticket fare is automatically included in any ticket sold from the airport to Paris. This infuriated a minority of airport RER users, of which I am one, when they did this because until then you could buy a "Gare du Nord exit" ticket for about 50 euro cents less. This pleased those of us who live near Gare du Nord or who wished to take a bus from there. As the years have passed, we have learned to live with it.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:43 AM

Well, I wouldn't say it's a snap. And I wouldn't estimate it at a three minute walk, either, but think RATP is often a little unrealistic on that timing. Sure, you can do it okay as long as one is aware this is a long walk even if it's in underground connected tunnels. It's fine if you don't have a lot of luggage and don't expect it to be real short.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:48 AM

the transfer from RER line B to D at either Gare du Nord or Chatelet-Les Halles on the other hand is a snap - from one platform usually to an adjoining platform. But i'm not sure how the Gare de Lyon to line 14 metro is at Gare de Lyon - as this is not nearly as sprawling a metro/RER interchnage as at Chatelet-Les Halles i suspect it's just a short jaunt - thus you may want to go back to my original answer as the easiest way with bagge especially to go between CDG and Bercy. If the change from Chatelet-Les Halles to line 14 and the Chatelet metro station is a snap as some say then i'd go that way - but after reading the responses i'm not sure what the real deal is on that link due to conflicting statements from folks i consider very reliable.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 09:57 AM

At Châtelet-Les Halles RER station, there is a set of turnstiles leading to the connection with metro lines 1-7-11-14 (while metro line 4 has a different place to connect). If you are going to lines 1-7-11, you have a long set of moving walkways to use. If you are going to line 14, the connecting passage branches off on the right immediately after the turnstiles, and there is a very short passage to get to the Châtelet line 14 station. Elevators await you there if you need them, although there is just one flight of steps down to reach the station. Since line 14 is totally automatic (no driver), trains go through there about every 2 minutes.
If this is not a snap for Christina, I am very sorry.
Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:15 AM

Looks like it's back to the RER B to Chatelet-Les Halles then hop to line 14 as the easiest way to Bercy!