Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do I get from Rome to Assisi for a day trip?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 05:31 AM
Maira

Most tour operators run day trips from Rome to Assisi from April 1st-Oct 31. I want to go in February. Train? How? Bus? How? Have you heard (or better yet, recommend) a tour operator that day trips to Assisi on Feb?

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 05:56 AM
Cathy

Maria, <BR> <BR>When I enquired on this forum last year about a day trip from Rome to Assissi I received replies recommending the train and walking around Assisi ourselves. My trip was in November and if I remember rightly the journey to Assisi was long and started early, so with such a lot to do in Rome (and parenst and parents-in-law in tow) we opted not to take the trip. <BR> <BR>I have re-looked through all my correpondence and come up with the following which may and maynot be of some assistance http://www.italyguide.com/TURISMO/carrani/tour15.htm. This company offered a private guide and tour by car as its regular tour had stopped for the winter. A minivan for 6 people at your disposal at the cost of ITL 600.000 + VAT 10% and an english speaking guide at the cost of ITL 200.000 + VAT 20%. We took their general Rome by Night tour and were very unimpressed - a rip off. <BR> <BR>However I did come across (not sure how or where) an women who offers guided tours of Assisi and a home cooked meal, but make your own way there. The description of the tour made me long to go but the parents-in-law were too lazy. Her email is [email protected] <BR> <BR>Try it and let me know how you got on, <BR> <BR>Regards <BR> <BR>Cathy <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 06:11 AM
Maira

Cathy, thanks for the kind reply. I did looked up your posts and, as advised, prefer to stay clear of Carrani. I need to get to Assisi for at least one day. One of my childhood's best friends became a Franciscan Priest and I can't even fathom the idea of dropping Assisi.

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 06:56 AM
Walter

Maira: It seems to be a fairly easy daytrip by train, alittle over 2hrs. I checked the timetables at www.fs-on-line.com/ There are 3 early trains at 0637-arrive 0840, 0712-arr0925, and 0912-arr1121. The 1st two require a connection, the 3rd is direct. On the return there are trains before and after these but these two are direct to Rome, 1606-arr1817 and 1829-arr2022. Using my "Let's Go Italy"; the train station is 5km from the town but there are buses (2 per hr) that takes you to within 150M of the Basilica. HTH Regards, Walter <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 07:05 AM
joaquin bustamante

Maira: <BR> By train is very simple.At Assisi´s train station you have bus connection to the city. Start early and enjoy the beautiful city. Luck.

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 08:49 AM
Maira

Thanks to all who responded. <BR> <BR>Walter and Joaquin: I checked the site and it seems prety straightforward. Many thanks for the help.