Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How do I get from an apartment to the Rome airport early in the morning???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're leaving for Italy in 4 days - a week in Florence in an apartment and then 3 nights in Rome - in another apartment. I'm taking my daughter and her husband and an apartment was so much more economical. We fly into Florence for the first week and then are taking a train to Rome for the last three nights. My question is - how is the best way to get to the FCO airport for an early morning flight. I've always stayed at hotels and had the hotel arrange transfers - but how do I do it on my own? My daughter's flight leaves FCO at 7:30 - We're staying in at apartment at Orso 80 - which is near Piazza Navonna. How do I arrange transportation to the airport. We don't leave until 11:30 and will need transportation also. Thanks
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 05:44 PM
J62

Grab a taxi - the trip to the airport early in the morning will be fast.

There is a taxi queue at Largo di Torre Argentina, about a 5min walk from Pza Navonna. If they have luggage to haul, then one person can walk to the taxi queue, direct the driver back to the apartment. If luggage has wheels then have them take it with them to the taxi.

There may be another taxi queue closer, but I'm not 100% sure.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 05:46 PM
J62

An alternative is to call a taxi from the apartment. You'll see the phone number clearly visible on the side of taxi's - there are several co's. Just write down a couple of the numbers as you're out and about Rome.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:20 PM

If you don't want a taxi you can try a private transfer service.

http://www.limoservicerome.com

or

http://www.romeshuttlelimousine.com/FiumicinoE.htm

Rome Shuttle is 35 Euro.

Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:27 PM

Call for the taxi for your daughter the night before though since she'll need to leave by 5am and I doubt she wants to be wandering the street with her bags looking for a cab at that hour.

i had the same issue on my last trip to Rome where we stayed in an apartment and I called the night before (I think I found a taxi service phone number in my eyewitness guidebook) but I only thought of it later in the evening and at that point the only driver they had free was for very early in the morning.

I think if you call and reserve the afternoon of the day before you will be fine. It is a quick ride to the airport.
Old Apr 30th, 2008, 06:28 PM

I would do private transfer for your daughter. Taxi for those leaving late morning.

I'm an early morning walker and I don't remember seeing taxis lined up that early at Largo di Torre Argentina. It will work fine for those leaving the apartment around 8:30. But your daughter will need to leave around 5:30. I wouldn't count on finding a taxi sitting there at that time.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:57 PM

I agree that you probably can't count on finding a taxi at 5:00 am without calling it the day before. If you decide to take a taxi at 8:00 for the later flight, there's a line much closer to your apartment, right at the northern end of Piazza Navona by the Tourist Information Booth. You could easily walk there, even with luggage.

However, I always book a shuttle. Much easier. I've used www.airportshuttle.it five times. You do pay a little extra for a 5:00 am pickup.
Old May 1st, 2008, 05:11 PM

I booked a shuttle and it was just perfect!