Reload this Page >

How do I Book on UAL?

Search

How do I Book on UAL?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:54 AM
Roger

How do I Book on UAL?

In todays paper is an ad for very cheap specials to various european cites. It futher states if you book via United.com you can save even more. I have tried every which way and I keep coming up with the normal price of around $800 r/t, not the $159 each way price. Can someone tell me how to book this from my computer?

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Gretchen

Is there a place for "promotions"? Barring that call the airline direct and ask how to do it.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:13 AM
GGinSF

There may not be any of the cheap flights for the dates/times you want. On their site, start by clicking "Special Deals" under the Planning Travel heading. The best deals are usually E-fares, so click on that. It may say there are none currently offered, or it may ask your departure city. Enter the departure city and it will give you places you can go to at a discount. Click on your destination and the dates available will show.<BR><BR>If the special isn't an E-fare then you can click on the promotion name ("Winter Getaways" for example) for details of dates, etc. You then have to keep entering in itinerary choices within those time frames and looks for the fares with the "Winter Getaways" symbol. There may only be a few of these flights and you can search for hours without finding a discounted fare. I don't know of any easier way, though.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Roger

Hi, I tried that and it didn't work. At any rate United is offering great deals from San Francisco, and I am sure from other cities, for flight up to the middle of May.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 10:22 AM
GGinSF

You also have to be careful reading United's fine print. They sometimes list round-trip prices (E-fares are usually this way) but other times they show the "each-way fare based on roundtrip travel". They show SF to Orlando as $179 on their Winter Getaways, for example, but that's just one way (and doesn't include airport fees, taxes, etc.). It comes to around $423 total if you book it, and that relfects the discount.<BR><BR>They do have some great e-fares, including SF to Milan, London or Paris for under $400 round-trip, but that's only for a few days in January. Hmmm, Milan sounds like a good destination...

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:15 PM
JP

To find the applicable dates of a good fare, try www.expedia.com, then choose the "flights" tab and then "Fare Calendar".

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:34 PM
scigirl

You can also use travelocity.com to find the fare. On the main page enter the cities you want to travel between and select 'find the best fare' (don't specify the travel dates). You should then get a page with the cheapest available fares listed including the airlines. At that point you can select the fares to see what dates are available. <BR><BR>Travelocity also has a great fare watcher function that allows you to specify five routes that you are interested in, set a price, and they will send you an email whenever the prices drop below the point you select. It is a great function - I signed up a few weeks ago and was able to get on a great fare to Detroit. Sometimes the really cheap tickets sell out in less than a day.