Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The 6th District in Paris...is there anything like it in London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 06:31 AM
Hope

I signed on the Fodors site today with a heavy heart because I am back from Paris! It was the best vacation I have ever had and we didn't even see all of the things we were "supposed" to see. I felt like I lived in Paris for a week, in my own quaint neighborhood. For those going to Paris for the first time, I encourage you to spend a day just walking along the streets and attempting to take it all in. Just sitting in the cafes, listening to a language that is not your own, and admiring all of the dogs that are allowed in is enough entertainment! Everyone was so nice to us. Thank you to those who directed me to the 6th District. I can't imagine staying anywhere else. We are so happy we didn't stay near the Champs Elysees. We are planning a trip to London next. As I am sure there is nothing like Paris, can anyone suggest an place similiar to the Saint Germain area in London?

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 07:51 AM
elvira

It's not so much like the 6eme in activity, but for the same sort of neighborhood feel, I like the area around Swiss Cottage.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:16 AM
Wayne

Hope--<BR>Everyone will have his own favorite, so you will have to decide. Mine, for the kind of environment you described which is also my preference, is the Kensington area of London. Search for B&B's or small hotels in that area, and I think you'll get some good results.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:57 AM
JOdy

I'd go for South kensingon or sloane Square area . We always stay in the 6th in Paris and in London in S.Ken

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Vincent

Yes, Chelsea/South Kensington are really cute areas, but without the bohemian feel of the Rive gauche. But you might get a feel of Paris, since this neighbourhood is the home of much of London's 200,000 strong French community (it's nicknamed the "Frog valley" ! )

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:50 PM
Surlok

I would say that Chelsea, mostly the Kings Road area is a little more bohemian than S. Kensington, however, there isn't so far a neighborhood in London quite like the 6eme. Covent Garden for sure is not-- I would compare it to Bastille, or the Latin Quarter, but not to Saint Germain.<BR><BR>Regards,<BR><BR>S