How do go to Italy on a budget?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't stop thinking of Italy. My plans of going with my girlfriend fell through. But I started thinking about going by myself for about four days on my way to Scandinavia. But it can get pricey. How do I go about this in the most affordable yet safe way?? Any good suggestions?? Most hotels are just so expensive! I don't mind living on pizza for four days......
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:37 PM

If you don't mind missing the ``iconic'' tourism stops, visit lesser known but still fascinating areas, i.e. tour Piedmonte instead of Tuscany.
Old May 24th, 2006, 09:41 PM

Scandinavia is pricy too! Consider convents, as those are very good value. If you're up to it, consider hostels. Also, if you go in the off-season, you can get excellent prices, even for some 3* hotels. In the off-season, you don't have to worry about mosquitoes, heat, and air conditioning either.
Old May 24th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Hi schnookies, where in Italy do you wish you could go to. With just four days (which is so much better than not having four days in Italy) it would be good to just land in one spot. Do you have any idea where that spot would be?
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:31 AM

Here are a few websites you may want to check:

www.hostelz.com
www.bookhostels.com
www.bugeurope.com

Consider taking walking and bicycle tours (1 day) in a city. The hostels will have a list of these trips. Try to stay at least two nights at each hostel. Book in advance for June-August travel because they do fill up.

Old May 25th, 2006, 07:12 AM

Don't eat in restaurants except one really good meal as a treat. Otherwise, buy fresh bread, cold cuts, fruit, etc. in a supermarket or small local shops. The bread baker will be happen to slice open your bread, ready to make a sandwich. You can get marinated olives and onions and even a bottle of decent wine (bring a corkscrew). Find a nice bench and have yourself a picnic - you'll eat well, and save a LOT of money.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:43 AM

Some good suggestions here on eating cheap. We ate cheaper because we learned the wonderful phrase "una per due"--meaning you split a plate. We also never felt obliged to have all the courses offered. Nobody castigated us!
If you're looking for an inexpensive region that is REAL Italy, Le Marche is nearly half the price (lodging, food, admissions, everything) of Rome or Venice and has wonderful variety. Seaside, beaches, mountains, incredible fortified hill towns. However, you almost have to drive as transportation options are sparse.

Vera
Old May 26th, 2006, 10:47 AM

Bed and Bed cassia in florence is very economical...about 55 us dollars per night.

You could luck out and get a cheap flight to London and then fly from London to Italy for under 200 US dollars.

Both my london and italy tickets combined cost only 600 bucks. But with the summer travel happening, I am not sure of the costs.

As for budget, you can also save by sharing a bathroom, and remember that take-away or to-go is always cheaper than eating at the restaurant or cafe.

Eat your largest meal at lunch when there are sometimes tourist specials.
Old May 26th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Living in Italy as we have done for six years is not always cheap, so we try to have economical holidays. Certainly try the hostels. All are clean and well run, you can even book en-suite family rooms. They are not just in "out of the way" places either. I have stayed with my family in Assisi, Pompeii, Venice, Ferrara and Rome. The Italian organisation in AIG (check the website at aig.it I think). Eat away from the main tourist drags. Venice is famously expensive but go a few streets away from Rialto or Piazza San Marco and you'll find bakeries and local's bars with ordinary prices. For longer journeys, take the intercity trains (book in advance and any single journey costs €15 including reserved seat irrispective of distance (www.trenitalia.it). Also, the prices of most accommodation drops by about 50% from the beginning of September. The weather is still good and there is more space for you to explore!!
Old May 26th, 2006, 03:34 PM

Turin takes credit for apertivo, but the trend seems to be spreading to different parts of the country.

It's a great version of Italian happy hour and a wonderful way to eat cheaply. You buy a drink or a glass of wine and it's off to sumptuous spread of food. It's tremendous browsing and a super way to save money.

Here's how you get through a day:
1) Take advantage of the hotel breakfast, if offered.
2) Grab parts of a lunch at street market, shops or even some of the fabulous super markets.
3) Chow down at apertivo.
4) End the night with either a gelato or limoncello -- or both.

Doing this will also help you save enough bucks for an occasional dinner splurge.