Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How did you Plan a Trip BEFORE the Internet?

May 22nd, 2002, 01:05 AM
travelingal

I'm a student and have been traveling for about eight years now. Since the advent of the internet I plan trips COMPLETELY from my computer.(couldn't even do that in the mid-nineties!)
Whatever did we do before this fabulous invention!?!

May 22nd, 2002, 01:17 AM
JohnQ

I would buy my plane ticket, buy a michelan guide, and do the 'fly by the seat of your pants' thing.
Now that I'm older I much prefer to know where I will be sleeping at night and god knows I can do without the aggravation of searching out a decent hotel after I have journeyed all day to wherever I'm going.

The internet is/was a godsend!

May 22nd, 2002, 02:43 AM
meira

We had books, you know....
I still use them but - I do use all the advise I can get on this forum. It adds a lot of other bits & pieces of small little things which are not at all in the books.

May 22nd, 2002, 03:22 AM
Myer

Guide Books, telephone and mail (even before fax).

May 22nd, 2002, 06:03 AM
Rex

Books: Rick Steves, Karen Brown, fodors and Frommers, Europe's Wonderful Little Hotels and Inns; a lot of faxes and telephone calls, and National Tourist Offices.

Best wishes,

Rex

May 22nd, 2002, 06:08 AM
kate

Guide books.When we were going to London the first time, we went to the British Tourist offices in NYC and got loads of brochures and books from them for free! The hotels would send brochures so we could look at pictures and decide on which one.It was fun,just not as immediate.

May 22nd, 2002, 06:22 AM
alison

Use a travel agent. Good thing for the internet because it's difficult to find a competent travel agent nowadays.

May 22nd, 2002, 06:26 AM
elvira

There's this historical building in pretty much every American city/town called a library - it's full of books and magazines and newspapers. You go in, there's a "card catalogue" which lists subject matter and book titles alphabetically. You write down the titles of the books you want, then - now here's the most amazing thing of all - YOU BORROW THE BOOKS FOR FREEEEEE! That's right, no monthly ISP fees, no 2-night rental for $2, the books can be taken home for FREEEEE...

Then, of course, there's another quaint old item - stationery. It's paper, you write on it "please send me maps and a list of B&Bs in the area around the Ring of Kerry", and send it to tourist offices. This does cost money; you have to buy the stationery, the pen, and a stamp.

As much as I love the Internet, I still depend on paper for most of my research. Never once in all my life have I had a book flash "This Page Cannot Be Displayed. There is a problem with the page your are trying to reach..."

May 22nd, 2002, 07:09 AM
good

There used to be a card catalogue. Now there are 5 computers which are always busy.

May 23rd, 2002, 01:40 AM
Julie

Gee, I'm from Canada - I don't think I've seen a library around these here parts...

May 23rd, 2002, 05:11 AM
Ann

Sometimes it is a curse rather than a blessing. Before, you did your research and took off, now you book something, find someone's opinion, change, find another opinion and so on...seems I've been suffering from TMI lately (Too Much Information!!!)

May 23rd, 2002, 05:27 AM
Pauline

elvira,

Thank you for that belly laugh.
I have to admit that I am guilty of not using the mail system more often.
I tend to use the local library & internet to gather the info and then either phone, fax or e-mail to make the contact.

May 23rd, 2002, 05:32 AM
Sue

Elvira, thanks for the chuckle! But, you must admit,you never look up at the computer screen and find that someone has underlined certain passages in ink, or torn the screen off....