Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How crowded is Venice during the Biennale di Venezia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10th, 2003, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to rent an apartment for the 2nd week of June. I have had one apartment owner tell me that she is full because of the Biennale di Venezia festival. What is this festival and does Venice become swamped during it?<BR><BR>I don't know if I can change our dates or not. But, I don't want to go at a time when the city is at it's busiest, either. Thank you for your help.Laurie
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 02:24 PM

The Biennale is an international art festival that usually starts the 2nd week in June. It is probably an exciting time to be in Venice but it will be crowded. The Arsenale (look at a map) is the main display area I think. If you're worried about crowds, you might want to pick a different week.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 03:45 PM
KT

The Biennale lasts for almost five months. I've been in Venice during the fall when it's in progress, and Venice didn't seem that much more crowded than usual. However, it begins in mid-June, and between the opening festivities and the usual June tourist season, you're facing a very busy time.
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your replies, mclaurie and KT. I appreciate the information. I think we may just go anyway and hope for the best. Thanks again! Laurie
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 06:28 PM

We were in Venice during the biennale a few years ago. There were a lot of people, but it wasn't swamped. We made a point of visiting the most popular sights in the morning before the daytrip herds arrived, then we explored lesser known sights in the afternoons. Worked well.
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 02:34 AM
ced

Venice ia ALWAYS crowded whether Biennale or not ! Too many tourists to cope with when u live here i tell you !
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 01:46 PM

I was in Venice for the Biennale 2 years ago. The Biennale is a huge modern art show that comes every two years. I'm not sure Venice is any more crowded than normal during the time Biennale is open, but if you're into art, it's really amazing. Also, since it's summer, Italy's tourist cities are always pretty crowded, but I'd say it was worth it.