Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How can we avoid a 5hour+ layover at LGW?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 08:11 AM
Richard

We are traveling mid-November DFW to TLS (Toulouse)using FF miles on AA. Our flight is scheduled to arrive LGW @ 0725 and we then connect to a BA flight @ 1410. BA has an earlier flight @ 0840 but AA cannot book us on it because of time constraints. Question: How do we get from the AA arrival gate to the BA departure gate in the least amount of time to try to catch the 0840 flight? We will have only carry-ons, nothing checked. Thanks.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 09:05 AM
Andy

Richard - In one answer,YOU CAN'T. <BR>What you're asking for is an illegal connection--you need much more time for connections in Gatwick--- <BR>There will be so many security checks now in the airport that it will take up a lot of time anyway. <BR> <BR>You need at least 2 hrs to make a connection now--there is a shopping area so you can go a have breakfast and wander around the duty free shops until it's time to board you BA flight. <BR> <BR>Friends just came back from Paris and said they had 6 different security checks in CDG--and upon landing in Logan,it was just like usual==no sense of heightened security there.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 11:32 AM
ger

Richard: <BR> <BR>Andy is right on. I would never, even in normal circumstances, leave less than 2-3 hours for a transfer between an international and continental/domestic flight. Needless to say, the conditions at the moment are far from normal and will continue to be so for many months to come. <BR> <BR>I am in Italy at the moment and have flown through Dublin and Frankfurt this week. Security measures are adding considerable time to the transfer between flights (and I, for one, am not going to argue). I also anticipate longer waits at immigration (traditionally, it has been very lax but this is likely to change. <BR> <BR>Bring a good book Richard or, alternatively, take a much later flight, store your bags at the airport and spend the day in London. A warning, however, before you go, make sure the baggage check facilities are still in operation. Some airports may remove this facilitiy for fear of bombs (happended in some Irish & UK airports & train stations in the 70s & 80s for fear of IRA plants). <BR> <BR>Regards ... Ger <BR> <BR>Also, you will have to assume that your own flight will be delayed on the way out by anywhere from 1-3 hours, again due to added security. This causes a problem with Air Traffic Control at destination as flights are missing their designated landing times.

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 04:54 PM
zz-top

If Richard was able to actually get to the BA departure gate in time for the earlier flight, would they allow him to get on ? (flying standby) Or is this not allowed in this circumstance? <BR>-

Old Sep 22nd, 2001, 06:08 PM
anon

yep!

Old Sep 23rd, 2001, 01:38 PM
Richard

Thanks all for your replies, I guess a good English breakfast at LGW beats the yogurt and banana breakfast offered on AA. Andy, I don't think the connection we're attempting is illegal, it's just that the airlines can't book you on flights with that lead time. ZZ, pre-PENTTBOM, an AA res agent said we could go stand-by, we are ticketed on a later flight. Ger, I do wonder what will happen with left luggage stations, they are already non-existent in many airports, CDG e.g..