Notices

How can I get to Murren?

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 05:56 PM
Lydia

How can I get to Murren?

I willbe on a tour next June and there is a 3 night stay in Interlaken .How can I get to Murren from there..Is there a train that I could take..I will not have a rail pass..can a ticket be purchased for one round trip and if so how much? any advice would be greatly appreciated

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:17 PM
Cher4travel

Lydia...take a train from Interlaken to Lauderbrunn and then the fanickular sp?
to Murren...fabulous..fabulous a must!Good Luck...yes you can purchase a ticket at the station, can't be too terribly much.,..well worth it whatever the cost

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 06:19 PM
Myer

The train from Interlaken to Lauterbrunen takes about 20 minutes. Then take the funicular up and a 10 minute train to Murren.
Very easy ride. Tough to get lost.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 09:57 PM
Eli

Lydia, build your own itinarary on www.sbb.ch. You will have to select the specific starting point in Interlaken (e.g. Interlaken West etc). For destination you should select Muerren BLM (and not the other one).

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 04:09 AM
Ed

As Eli has suggested, the Swiss Rail website will serve you well. www.rail.ch will take you directly to an English version.

From Interlaken Ost (the east rail station) the trip takes just 55 minutes.

The schedule expands and contracts somewhat at peaks and at lunch, but basically there are two services each hour at :05 and :35. Be sure and get on the front half of the train which will go to Lauterbrunnen. The back half goes to Grindelwald.

In Lauterbrunnen you walk across the street to the BLM station for the 9 minute funicular to the top of the hill at Grütschalp. There you change to a narrow gauge train for the 15 minute trip to Mürren.

It all sounds a bit complicated, but its really quite easy.
The fare R/T is about 18 dollars (CHF31.20 I believe). You can catch a train or bus from the Interlaken West train station if your hotel is near there, or walk it in about 15 minutes.

You'll be delighted by the views from Mürren. You can walk, in about 45 minutes, between Mürren and Grütschalp and find marvelous views along the way. You really should go up to the Schilthorn from Mürren. See
http://twenj.com/swmountaintrips.htm#mountaintop