how border-less is Eastern Europe?

Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how border-less is Eastern Europe?

I'll be landing in Munich and then taking trains to the Czech Republic, Slovakia and Hungary. I'm not sure that these countries are "full" EU members and am wondering what I can expect crossing the border on the train? Appreciate any info, thanks!
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 03:53 PM

I've travelled to Prague many times. I worked in Holland for 4 years several years ago, and I flew to Prague 4 or 5 times a year for a long weekend.....other than going through customs for them to look at your passport, there's absolutely no problem. Last time I went to Prague (3 years ago), I took the train from Dresden, Germany. Again, absolutely no problems....I think there was a quick passport check on the train. Same with Hungary, although I've only been there twice...last time was about 5 years ago....it was a flight from Amsterdam....just a quick passport check at airport. I'm sure you won't have problems on the train. Don't know about Slovakia.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 06:17 PM

When we travelled by train between Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic there was a quick passport check and a stamp added by the country we were leaving and soon after by the one we were entering. It was quite painless, happening as the train rolled along. An Austrian border agent was quite chatty with us.
Old Jul 25th, 2007, 09:51 PM

Hungary, Poland and Czech Republic are not Schengen countries so you will get the typical border check. It usually isnīt a big deal esp. with an American or UK passport. If you are travelling with a less desirable expect some delays.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Doesn't sound like it's going to slow me down any, thanks guys!