Search

How accurate is Multi Map?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Ani
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How accurate is Multi Map?

For driving directions in England and Wales? We've got a few of these types of websites in the US-some are great, some are ridiculously off base. We'll have a Michelin driving atlas as well, but will be driving a lot and through some larger cities. I planned to print out driving directions from Multi Map to bring along but want to make sure it won't cause more harm than good.
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Hi Ani
Your right to be cautious.
To be honest there is no real substitute for a good map.
If I have to get directions and distances quickly in the office I use the interactive map on www.rac.co.uk
But it's better to use a new map than lots of print off's.
Use it as a general informative guide only.
Most UK maps will have layouts of most major city centers.
Muck
Old Apr 6th, 2005, 01:32 PM

Do you want to take a computer with you? Navigating with a GPS on board is easy and fun.

Michelin offers a product called <i>Maps and Route Planning</i>, and Microsoft sells <i>AutoRoute</i>. They both provide many levels of resolution, so you can plan highway routes cross-country and pick your way through towns street by street.

Both offer free on-line demos.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 11:52 AM

We used the Michelin atlas (the wirebound version) and the only place we had much trouble with getting lost while driving was in York - but then we also had trouble getting lost when we were walking in York!

Generally, what we found was that it was pretty easy to navigate, but if you're used to US road maps, there is a difference. In US, to go from point A to point B, you tend to look for the sign with the route number and direction that will get you there - Route 60 West, etc. In Britain, look for the sign that points to your actual destination - if you're going to Muker, watch for the signposts to Muker.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 12:05 PM
Ani
Original Poster

Thanks!
GoAway...we have the same Atlas. This will actually be our 3rd trip over, and we've not had any trouble just using a map yet. Just thought it might be even easier to take along driving directions as well.
Old Apr 7th, 2005, 10:47 PM

Cartographically, it's virtually 100% accurate, though it doesn't take account of roadworks, and doesn't know about temporary diversions that may be set up in a town.

From a route-planning point of view, it shares the same weaknesses as all these systems. It calculates times from a set, pretty inflexible formula - and driving in Britain isn't friendly to set, inflexible formulae. Allow +/- at least 30%. It's not that it's inaccurate: simply that you need far more intelligence and knowledge than a computer (or rather the brain-challenged people who program them) can possibly have to predict journey times in Britain.

It calculates routes from its own assumptions. Anyone familiar with any route will inevitably choose one that's different and better, and often its choice will be, to a local, simply weird. But if you're unfamiliar with the area, Multimap's directions are probably better than you'd ever work out for yourself.

But common sense and a good road atlas are always essential.
Old Apr 8th, 2005, 04:09 AM
ira

Hi ani,

I used to use multimap until I found that it was making too many mistakes on locations.

I now use www.viamichelin.com and www.mappy.com

along with my paper maps.

Old Apr 8th, 2005, 09:35 AM
Ani
Original Poster

Thanks again!
And ira-will check out those websites as well.