hotel's star rating

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 04:59 AM
brownie

hotel's star rating

I'm wondering about this hotel star rating strategy - is there a worldwide body that controls this? Or is it more that a 5-star hotel in say Tunisia would be of a different standard to a 5 star hotel in say Vienna??

We decided to rent a suite in 4-star Ambassador in Prague. It wasn't air-conditioned (window opens up to Wenceslas square which is noisy even in the middle of the night as we found out) and its bathroom design was well... "surprising". Service was minimal - came across the rudest porter I have ever met - but that is possibly just "the day" syndrome.

So it was a 4-star hotel but the comfort level just wasn't up to it. Sure it had the hair-dryer and bathrobes but also a small shower stall (and I am petite), no extra pillows etc..

I guess this experience has just got me questioning the hotel rating methods...

Next time I think I'll be sticking to smaller hotels. We stayed in a smallish one in Cesky Krumlov (I did a post earlier on it) and that was just so much better.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 05:13 AM
elaine

In the countries I am familiar with the stars are government ratings and I assume that each country has its own standards for ratings. For one example, France gives up to 4 stars I believe while Italy spreads its ratings over 5 stars. The ratings usually have to do with physical aspects of the hotel: number of private bathrooms, an elevator or not, number of hours per day the front desk is staffed, size of the lobby,
restaurant or bar on the premises, etc.
The ratings do not reflect location, attractiveness of the decor, staff attitude, nor even cleanliness specifically.
That's why message boards like this one can tell you much more about the ambiance of a hotel than gov't ratings can.
An explanation of the government star ratings for Italian hotels: www.umbria.org/eng/turismo/legenda.htm
I've not found a similar site for France or other countries.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 11:48 AM
Christina

It's definitely country specific and some countries (like US) don't even have a star rating system. If you see any stars for US hotels, it's made up by the site or book. I've been to Prague and stayed in a 4-star hotel and it was exactly what I'd expect of that level, and did have AC, as well as some other services I think 4-star hotels usually have in the countries I've been to (concierge, elevator, some business services like FAX, but no restaurant other than breakfast room, in-room telephone, AC). I don't think star ratings anywhere have anything to do with rudeness or level of service (other than factual levels, such a room service availability, phones, etc), and couldn't regulate size of shower, although they may regulate size of the rooms. I think some country's ratings are inflated compared to, say, France (Mexico, maybe Italy). As far as the Ambassador, it appears to have the usual things a 4-star hotels would have -- I am curious as it is listed as having AC in every room on web sites I've seen. Maybe yours was broken or you were there at a time it wasn't turned on? I think their rates are high, though, and that isn't the best choice of a 4-star in Prague; you are paying for the name and old reputation, but there are many better ones now, I think. I paid less for what was a very nice 4-star in Prague, for example. I don't have a lot of examples so could be wrong, but it seems to me that Interhotels are not usually a good choice.

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:22 PM
mpprh

Hi

this is an interesting subject.

Within countries, stars are awarded on a points system. Points may be awarded for parking, breakfast choice, 24 hr service, phone, ac, heating system, laundry facilities etc etc. In some countries ac may be more important than heating. So it is difficult to be objective.

Perhaps an easier way is to follow the franchise rules. All Holiday Inns must have a pool, ac etc. etc.

Peter

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:18 AM
brownie

Christina - we called the reception hotline at 4am asking where the AC switch was (after the two of hunted for it for a while) and was told that there was none.

I guess basically - the best indication you'd get of a hotel is on a review. I must remember that next time - but when you're walking aroudn the town ... usually the stars end up being the indication.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 03:05 AM
beth

I stayed at both of Heathrow's Sheraton hotels 3 years ago and 5 years ago. One is 3 1/2 star and the other a 4 star. The first one which was 3 1/2 star was probably the worst hotel I have had the misfortune to actually have to pay for. Although it was October the room was so hot that I could not breath, the window opened outward 3 inches, there was no airconditioning, the room was so small that two people holding hands could touch the opposite walls. I finally managed to borrow a fan from the lobby ( where the reception people had one going) so that I could sleep after my 20 hours flight. It took the hotel staff 6 hours to come and see why the room was hot and why there was warm air circulating everywhere. Not an enjoyable stay. The next time we were at Heathrow we stayed at the other Sheraton hotel ( much better said our travel agent) The rooms were better and the hotel looked nicer but there was absolutely nowhere we could sit, stand, eat or drink where we were not smoked out. Asked if this was hotel policy and was told that people can smoke anywhere .......terrific