Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels Recommendations in Biarritz area of France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 08:15 AM
Ally

Yes, I have a guide book and found a good web site for Biarritz, but can anyone give any recommendations for a hotel or B&B in the area? Thanks!

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 09:10 AM
Nina

The Clair de Lune outskirts of Biarritz

Old Nov 19th, 2001, 11:43 AM
Ann

We stayed in the Lehen Tokia in Ciboure for a week in mid September. I would say that the room we were in had seen better days, but the hotel had a great deal going for it. A superb location overlooking the bay of St Jean de Luz, wonderful breakfasts, friendly and helpful staff, and we were able to walk to restaurants in the evening. Just a pity the unique decorations and furnishings were a little faded. Neverthelsee I would go back.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 05:43 AM
Ally

Thanks to both of you, I'll look up both. Anyone else want to chime in and give a good recommendation?<BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 07:23 AM
ANgela

Hotel DU Palais - fantastic food, service, views, and close to beach. V expensiceve though. Feel free to ask any questions.

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 08:24 AM
elizabeth

We stayed at a B&B/Gite in Sare (in the mountains above Biarritz) The B&B is on a few acres of land with<BR> marvellous views of the Pyrenees and the most delightful hostess. Rooms were<BR> large (with full bathrooms) and breakfast was served on the patio overlooking the<BR> mountains. <BR><BR>The Gite information is: <BR><BR> Olhabidea <BR> 64310 SARE <BR> Tel: 59.54.21.85 <BR><BR>The web address is: http://www.basquexplorer.com/olhabidea.htm<BR><BR> If you're going in September there's a Basque festival in Sare - we had 3 of the<BR> most magical days. There's a J'ai Lai court in town (the Gite is approx 1.5 km<BR> from town) and there were several tournaments going on as part of the festival.<BR> Also, there were alot of concerts at the time - the basque music is lovely. <BR><BR> <BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2001, 09:57 AM
Ann

Some other ideas, some of which were givven to me through this forum:<BR><BR>Hotel Arraya in Sare <BR><BR>Villa l'Arche in Bidart<BR><BR>Sare: "Maison Dominxenea" (same owners as Arraya and featured in Karen Brown's B&B French guide) and "Olhabidea" (also belonging to the Fagoaga family) <BR><BR>Ainhoa: "Hotel Ithurria" (great food!) <BR><BR>St. Etienne de Baigorry: "Hotel Arce" <BR><BR>Cibourne: "Lehen Tokia" (www.lehen-tokia.com) amd "Villa Erresinolettean" <BR><BR>St. Jean-de-Luz: "La Deviniere" (in town) and "La Maison Tamarin" (outside of town-www.lamaisontamarin.com) and the expensive "Parc Victoria" <BR>(www.relaischateaux.fr) <BR><BR>Bidart: "Irigoian" (www.irigoian.com) <BR><BR>St. Pee-sur-Nivelle: "Bidachuna" <BR><BR>St. Jean Pied-de-Port: "Les Pyrennees" (www.relaischateaux.fr)<BR><BR>I hope you have a lovely time.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 07:32 AM
Ally

Thanks all! I'm going to jump on the web and check these all out!<BR>Angela, does Hotel DU Palais have a web site?...I'll check google.com...<BR>Elizabeth, your post makes me wish I were going in September, but it will be May. Should be fun anyway. My husband has been a surfer for 30+ years. (Learned in Hawaii in High School) That's why we're going to the area, to check out the surf. He probably won't surf because he does not like to surf in cold water, and I expect it will be cold, but it will still be great fun for him to watch. I'm very excited for him. Even if he does not surf, he can tell his surf buddies he's been there!