Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotels Olympia, Mistras, Githion, The Mani?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 12:29 AM
Etal

Does anyone have hotel/restaurant recommendations for Olympia, Mistras,Githion, the Mani? We like traditional old buildings and great views. Thank you.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 08:02 AM
Jeff

In Olympia, the Best Western (Europa), up on a hill overlooking the site of the ancient city, is considered the best place around.<BR><BR>In the Mani, I recommend the Tsitsouris Castle (or something like that) in Stavri. It also has a good restaurant, and you can walk to the ruins of the castle of the Maina from there. I don't recommend the place in a restored tower house that the Greek National Tourist Authority runs in Areopolis -- it's dark and dank, and there are no good restaurants in Areopolis. There's also rooms available in restored tower houses in another town (Vathy?) farther south -- the Greek Tourist Authority was also going to run that one.<BR><BR>I wouldn't stay in Gythion. Go to Monemvasia. It's unforgettable, magical. But you want to be there at sunset, and you want to see what's it's like after dark. You'll feel like you're at the end of the world, in a time capsule cut off from the modern world. The Malvasia and Byzantion are the best places to stay, and To Kanoni is the best restaurant.<BR><BR>Mistra is great, but I remember the hotels of Sparta being unexciting, and the same with the restaurants. One fun short hike near Sparta is to the ruins of the Menelaion, a shrine dedicated to Helen and Menelaus, on a hill overlooking the Eurotas Valley and the Taygetus range.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Grandma

I second the recommendation for Monemvasia and the Malvasia... and unforgettable experience. We also enojyed Methoni.. simple hotel (then), good restaurant, castle ruins, etc.

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 08:07 PM
tom

I also liked the Hotel Europa (best western) in Olympia. In fact, we added an extra day to our stay couple years ago, for some sorely needed 'downtime'. They have a great pool and very nice gardens. The Europa's "outdoor taverna" in the garden was quite good, too. Very serene. <BR><BR>To be honest, my stay at the Europa was probably more memorable than the vists to the museum and archaeological ruins!

Old Sep 15th, 2002, 06:33 AM
jeff

I would also endorse Methoni (and its nearby sister town of Koroni), on the southwesternmost prong of the southern Peloponnese. It has a huge, unforgettable Venetian fortress; Koroni has another one, and the town has amazing wrought-iron balconies -- like greek version of New Orleans' French quarter. There is now an Amalia hotel on a hill outside of Methoni, overlooking the (so-so) beach and the fortress. Amalias are sort of like Greek versions of Holiday Inns -- good, reliable, clean, modern accomodations for a reasonable price.

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:27 PM
Marty Bielicki

We stayed at Hotel Europa for 2 days and loved it. It's actually on top of a large hill with a nice view. The hotel is actually family run and very good. The tour busses that come and go didn't bother us. The buffett breakfast is quite good too.