Hotels near Termini

Jan 13th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Joe & Denise

Hotels near Termini

We are getting a great deal on a Hotel near Termini and heard that it may be a bad neighborhood. It's called Hotel Contilia. Little nervous even with our limited Italian,
sounds like a terminal in the city that we might not want to be near. Anyone have any opinions?

Jan 13th, 2002, 09:25 AM
Howard

It depends on exactly where it's located. While the termini area is not the prime spot to stay in Rome, some areas are safe and convenient to transportation, restaurants, etc. Do you have a street address?

Jan 13th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Joe

My friends and I stayed at Hotel Aphrodite which is directly on the street in back of the termini. We did not have any problems. The restaurants around that area are first class and reasonably priced. It was so convenient to catch the bus or train.

Jan 13th, 2002, 03:00 PM
asdf

J&D, you should be just fine. I stayed near Termini last fall for 5 days and prior to going had also seen posts/read the occasional "Don't stay anywhere near Termini!" stuff in books, etc. When I got there I wondered why people get their shorts in a twist on this topic - nothing out of the ordinary, scary, or sinister about it. As in any new city, pay attention, use your head, and you'll be just fine.

Jan 13th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Walter

You'll be fine. I've stayed right around the corner from this hotel on my last 2 trips, next March I'll be on the next street over for 11 days. This hotel is on Via Principe Amedeo half-way between Via Gioberti & C. Cattaneo. Regards, Walter
Author: Walter ([email protected])
Date: 10/13/2001, 10:00 am
Message: I don't know about the hotel but I wouldn't worry about the location. It's not a romantic area but it is safe. IMO the "seedy" but not unsafe area starts ~1 block away at the Piazza M. Fanti (easy to avoid). I've stayed in that general area 4 times total of ~30 days. I've seen 2 homeless men, perhaps 2 prostitutes, 1 pickpocket team (3 women, 2 with babies), and 1 drunk Italian wino early in the AM. I've also seen a group of Boy Scouts and another time Girl Scout-types marching to/from Termini all by themselves on daytrips. They marched down Via Gioberti which is the cross-street next to your hotel. If the area ~Termini was dangerous & unsafe do you think Italian parents would let their children travel thru there on their own? HTH Regards, Walter

Jan 13th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Sue

Last summer we stayed near the Termini. It was not my first choice, but the price for a room with A/C was affordable. We needed to pay for two double rooms for 4 nights. I was not up for spending $1200-$1600 for a place to sleep. I was plesantly surprised that it was not that bad of an area. We walked to the Spanish Steps area and could easily get on the subway. It would be nicer to stay in another area, but if money is an issue you will be fine. My husband like it becasue every morning he would get up early and go buy an English paper at the station.Have fun.