Search

Hotels in York Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in York Edinburgh

Please help with suggestions for hotels in Edinburgh and

York for the beginning of May, I will be travelingo solo by train from London. Are the railroad stations in the center of town? Will I need to arrange pickup or will I be able to walk to the hotels? Do I need to purchase train tickets ahead of time or can I purchase in London?

Thanks. Johanna
Old Feb 22nd, 2008, 03:56 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
What is your hotel budget?

1) Yes, the train stations are in the center of the cities.
2) Whether you can walk to your hotels entirely depends on which hotels you choose
3) You should buy your tickets as soon as your dates are firm. Fares are discounted the farther in advance you book. Cheap fares are the first ones sold out - and walk-up fares are very expensive.
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi JanisJ: Thanks for your response.

My budget is 50-100 pounds per night.

Since traveling alone, I would like a hotel within
walking distance to the train station, in the center
of town.

I am trying to firm up itinerary, once I get feedback from
others who have done the same trip.

I am trying to see if I could use a 4-5 day train fare. I don't know if that fare includes the Eurostar.

Thanks for all input. johanna
Old Feb 26th, 2008, 08:43 PM
ron

I've stayed in York 3 times over the years, as a solo traveller. If you are willing to stay in a Guesthouse/B&B that is about a 10 -15 min walk from both the train station and the Minster, look for ones in the area of town called Bootham. You should be able to get a single ensuite in £35 range.

In April, I'll be staying at the Royal British Hotel in Edinburgh, within a 2 minute walk of the main train station. It appears to be an old, dumpish, 2 star place, so be sure to read the reviews on Trip Advisor to see if it is for you. I'm paying £50 per night.
Old Feb 27th, 2008, 08:28 PM

Here's where I stayed last year in the Bootham area of York...about a 15 minute walk from the station and minster. It's about 40 pounds a night with an amazing breakfast. It's newer construction, not a remodeled older building. The single I had was a smaller room with a twin bed and writing desk. The bedroom had a window at both ends and the private bath (shower) had a window too.
http://www.bootham-gardens-guesthouse.co.uk/

In Edinburgh, I stayed here. It's more money, but still within your price range. Hotels are very pricey in Edinburgh, so this was a deal. It too had a great breakfast. It's on the third floor of an older building in the New Town. It's close to lots of good places to eat and Princes Street. I walked everywhere including to the castle and the rest of the old town. It also is about a 15 minute walk to the station along the linear park that parallels Princes Street and divides the old and new towns. I had a huge room with king size bed although the private bath was just outside the room. The other room I saw on the floor was also large but the bath was ensuite.
http://www.53frederickstreet.com/index.html
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Jeff and Ron: I looked into both of these places and they are booked for the time I would like to go. I arrive London May 2nd. Stay for 1 week and then decided to go to Edinburgh first and then back to York(which is closer to London) to take the Chunnel trip to Paris on the 19th of May. JanisJ : Have you stayed at
theOsbournHotel in Edinburgh? Many thanks for all help. Johanna
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 08:00 AM

In Edinburgh, I can recommend the Dukes of Windsor Street Hotel (http://www.dukesofwindsor.com/), a small hotel (really more of an elegant bed and breakfast) that is about a 10-minute walk from Waverley Station, and within your budget.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 09:10 AM

In Edinburgh last year we stayed in the Ibis Hotel just off the Royal Mile and about 20 minutes walk from Waverley station. The location was excellent and the rates at the time were €85 for a double room, with breakfast extra. The hotel was new and modern and I would have no hesitation in staying there again.

http://www.accorhotels.com/accorhote...he_hotel.shtml
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 09:35 AM

Johanna: do you not know about www.tripadvisor.com? Go to the web site, put "Edinburgh hotels" or "Edinburgh B&B's" (same for York, of course)in the search box and you will receive a comprehensive list of hotels or B&B's in the area, ranked by travelers' reviews. It's an indispensable site.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bree and ter2000 for your response. The Ibis hotel is booked for the dates I need and I am waiting for
The Dukes of Windsor to reply. Thanks for the help