Reload this Page >

Hotels in Venice

Search

Hotels in Venice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 10:14 AM
susan

Hotels in Venice

I am trying to decide where to stay in Venice. I think I have narrowed it down to the Metropole or the Europa & Regina. Although the Metropole was recommended, I found a room at the Europa & Regina for only a bit more...any suggestions? I want a nice place with good service and great rooms since I am celebrating an anniversary for around $250. us dollars.

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 11:22 AM
elaine

Dear Susan <BR>Both hotels have been recommended on this forum in the past. You could do a Search for both. <BR>I have friends who have been to Venice many times and they will ONLY stay at the Europa-Regina. It has luxury, rooms were upgraded not long ago, and a great location. Right on the Grand Canal, less than 5 minutes from San Marco. <BR>To offer equal time to the Metropole, I offer this reference from my Venice notes; the recommendation came directly from this forum: <BR>"Hotel Metropole on Riva Degli Schiavone. On the Grand canal and not far from Piazza San Marco (St. Mark's), Bridge of Sighs and some very expensive properties like the Hotel Danieli. Magical. <BR>We opened the windows at night and heard an opera next door. It's also the only <BR>place that serves a buffet-style meal in Venice" (1999) <BR>If you would like a copy of my Venice notes, email me. Either way, <BR>have a wonderful trip. <BR>

Old Jan 19th, 2000, 03:13 PM
elaine

Thank you for your response. I think the Europa & Regina sounds great. For a few dollars more, if I can get the luxury...why not! I guess I am one of those people with dual tastes. I like the idea of staying in a small,local place but at the same time I can enjoy the luxury of a grand hotel. The way I travel, it is the experiences during the day, walking around town and meeting people and soaking in the local culture that make the most memories and give you a feel for the country. And then you can come back andluxuriate in your hotel! I would like to see a copy of your Venice notes, if possible. Thanks again.

Old Jan 20th, 2000, 03:44 PM
Debbie

We are also going to Venice for the first time in March. Through my searches I found the Europa &Regina to be approx $400/night. We are looking for something around $200 to $250 range. The Europa sounds great-can you tell me how you got your reservation? Thanks

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 09:21 AM
Julia

We are a little more on a budget but found a great spot for 260,000 lire for a double. <BR> <BR>Hotel : Al Piave <BR> <BR>Their web site: www.elmoro.com/alpiave <BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 09:44 AM
Dona

Susan, <BR> <BR>I have been to Venice many times and my dream is to stay at the Europa & Regina some day! (or the Gritti...) <BR> <BR>I think the location is better than the Metropole because it's close to everything but much more secluded and quiet. I like its location on the canal better and, just overall, I prefer it... <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful time!

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 09:58 AM
Vickie

I stayed at the Europa & Regina in November '99 and thought it was wonderful. Since many people compare it to the Danieli, I looked at a room there and wandered through the lobby, etc. - in my opinion, the E&R is much nicer. Better condition, quieter (so many groups in the Danieli lobby, surrounded by towers of luggage) and in a somewhat quieter location further along the Grand Canal. My single room, although small, was elegantly furnished and the marble bathroom was a treat - crystal chandeliers and all! The concierge staff was very helpful; and the restaurant was extremely good. Good location near San Marco, but a few steps off the main tourist path. Definitely worth staying there.

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 11:32 AM
Samantha

I am going to Venice next month and am thinking about staying at Saturnia & International http://www.hotelsaturnia.it/, which came recommended on the fodors hotel section - has anyone stayed there and what did you think? BTW, for those of you thinking of staying at Hotel Cipriani on Guidecca - it is closed until April, I believe, which is a shame as it's a gorgeous place to have lunch/dinner!

Old Jan 22nd, 2000, 04:40 PM
susan

Debbie, it sounds like you will be in Venice right before I will. I found a deluxe, double room, (city view) for $312. per night at the Europa & Regina through the Starwood Central Reservations number. 1-888-625-4988. My experience with hotel rates is that you need to push to get a good rate. You should be able to get a better rate in March, anyway. If you are stuck with a non-cooperative sales agent, hang up and try again. If you get someone helpful and willing work for you on the 800 number, you're in luck. My rate is a week-day rate and I did have to pursue it until finally the reservations agent seemed to find this rate. I also faxed the hotel directly to get a rate, and the rate was much higher. In my opinion, hotel rates are often negotiable...just keep on trying. I will be curious to know if your efforts prove fruitful!