Hotels in the Latin Quarter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI, First time posting here. I have spent the past 2 days reading posts and searching topics on this site and I think it's great.<BR><BR>I purchased 2 roundtrip tickets to Paris last night for $218each + tax from Air France. Me and my girlfriend will be in Paris 2/12 - 2/16.. NEXT WEEK for Valentines day and I am packing a little blue box for her as well Well I have yet to book a hotel. We wanted to stay in the Latin Quarter part of town for around $75 a night. I understand this is the quiet period and was hoping to find some good deals on quality hotels. Please feel free to suggest some. We also are considering to just &quot;go with it&quot; and find a nice place when we arrive. What do you guys (and gals) think about that?<BR><BR>Some background: we are both in our mid-20's and spent a week in Chamonix when we were 21yrs old. Chamonix was great!! I was very tempted to return there. We would like to do some fun stuff (Moulin Rouge) and maybe some romantic stuff (boat ride on the Siene). <BR><BR>I had concerns about going to Moulin Rouge and read 100's posts (pros and cons) and have decided to do it.<BR><BR>I also had concerns about going to Disneyland for a day and also read alot of posts and have decided NOT to go.<BR><BR>We are trying to absorb as much info as we can in this short period of time before we make decisions, but time is running out. We are also considering going to the Opera/Ballet.. still researching that one though.<BR><BR>It looks like the weather is going to be wet and cold.. but that will not deter us from visiting as many sights as possible. Please post some suggestions on the can't misses.<BR><BR>I know this is alot to ask but I am mainly concerned with the hotel at this point. <BR><BR>Thanks in advance,<BR>Nick
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 10:33 AM

First of all, congratulations--on your pending engagement as well as snagging a great airfare, even for this time of year!<BR><BR>There are a lot of nice, moderately priced hotels in the Latin Quarter (although with the current exchange rate, $75 per night is a bit low).<BR><BR>I recommend going to a site such as www.france-hotel-guide.com and seeing if any specific hotel listed there strikes your budget and fancy. Then you can come back here and do a search or ask some questions about a specific hotel.<BR><BR>Your girlfriend/fiancee is going to be walking on air the whole time you're there!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 10:36 AM

I think the Latin Quarter is the best area, there are tons of cafe's and it is good location for walking. <BR><BR>I have stayed at the Familia and thought the locations was great! The rooms like most in Paris are very small but comfortable. I've also stayed at Hotel Cardinal (it was called Pascal when I stayed there) and the room and bath was a bit bigger but it is at the north of Mouffetard, not a problem for us as we loved walking down that street everyday.<BR><BR>I loved taking a cruise on the Seine, walking around the Orsay, going to Bilboquet for jazz and having hot chocolate at Angelina's when my boyfriend and I were there for New years a few years ago. And of course having lots of cozy dinners for two! 4 days isn't very much time, I would suggest just exploring the city. <BR><BR>Have a great trip and congratulations!<BR><BR>Wendy
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 10:43 AM

Nick -<BR><BR>Congrats on spending your first trip to Paris on Valentine's Day! As well as getting great airfares.<BR><BR>$75/night is doable in the Latin Quarter, but even during low season, many of the popular budget choices are booked well in advance. I was in Paris this time last year and made reservations inquiries about a month in advance, requesting low season discounts. A couple of my top choices were not available.<BR><BR>If you search &quot;marais and hotel&quot; you should get a fairly recent thread which lists a couple of booking sites which allow you to search by date to see what's available and at what approximate cost. (I'd still suggest contacting hotels that interest you directly to ask what low season rates they can offer.) This may give you an idea of whether &quot;winging it&quot; is a good idea or not.<BR><BR><BR><BR>
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:26 AM

I endorse elle's recommendation about going to www.france-hotel-guide.com.<BR>I definitely would not wing it and look for a place when you got there. Why waste time during your 4-day trip to Paris looking for a place to stay?<BR>One thought about your plans: Do you realize that a night in the Moulin Rouge could end up costing you more than 2 nights in a hotel?
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:33 AM

Here is one of the booking sites which allows you to do a hotel search by dates, narrowing your choices by price and neighborhood:<BR><BR>www.ParisHotels.com<BR><BR>It has a good selection of budget properties, and photos, too.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 11:36 AM

Congrats NCA77!<BR><BR>I have stayed at La Studia (one block up from Familia) and liked the location (metro and deli/grocery right outside the door). We paid about $80 per night in April a couple of years ago. Rooms were small, but clean and we had a nice private bath.<BR><BR>This trip we have booked Hotel Monge after numerous good posts about it here. That one is going in high season for 95E per night.<BR><BR>There are really quite a few finds in the Latin Quarter, but I agree that you need to book something ASAP. Also, with your ages and interests, that area will probably be most enjoyable to you as a home base.<BR><BR>Good luck!
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:31 PM

You're doing all the right things, so I'm sure things will go well.<BR><BR>As for hotel, Feb. does seem low season, and kind of is, but it's not as low as you might expect in Paris because there is a lot of business then (I think fashion shows sometimes). So, not that many hotels offer discounts and rooms may not be as plentiful as you think. Two great websites above, www.parishotels.com and france hotel guide. The other one I'll mention is www.123france.com because it often will have seasonal discounts on it (that one and parishotels are the main ones I've seen with discounts).<BR><BR>Parishotels shows Claude Bernard in the Latin Qtr with great Feb. discounts and near your rate, so that would not be a bad choice. 123france has a promotion section with 10 pct off on the Minerve in Feb. I think both would be ok, I haven't stayed in either, but the Claude Bernard may be a better deal.
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Congrats! How exciting...try www.eurocheapo.com as well
Old Feb 5th, 2003, 01:14 PM

Do NOT go without a reservation, especially for this momentous trip. Here's a URL for an article that ran some years ago in the Washington Post with some good hotel info. Note the room at the Hotel du Globe with the canopy bed sounds great for your trip!<BR><BR>http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/travel/features/parishotels041899.htm<BR>Bon chance!<BR>
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

First off I would like to say THANKS to all of you for your suggestions. They were all very comforting to hear!<BR><BR>I am considering the Hotel Central St. Germain. It is a bit higher than I intended to spend ($117 for a double) but the exterior looks nice and it has been renovated in 2001. Please post some feadback on this place if you have some. I didn't see much on it in my searches.<BR><BR>PS. My sweetheart thinks we are going skiing in New Hampshire! haha<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nick
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 09:30 AM
ira

Hi<BR> Since you have raised your sights on hotel rates, I suggest the Hotel Bonaparte, 61 rue bonaparte. This is where my wife and I always stay. <BR>phone 01 43 26 97 37<BR>FAX: 01 46 33 57 67<BR><BR> It will be about 105E w/bkfst served in the room. Great people and excellent location.<BR> Have a great time.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:03 AM

&quot;PS. My sweetheart thinks we are going skiing in New Hampshire! haha&quot;<BR><BR>Nick, I love the romantic thought behind this, but just a cautionary word from a relatively recent newlywed: Please, please prepare your girlfriend for the fact that she might need to take some clothes other than what she might wear on a ski vacation!! Tell her that maybe you'll be doing something special and she should bring along a nice dress for dinner. . . &quot;<BR><BR>And I assume you'll have her passport with you?
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

Elle, Actually I was planning to go out to brunch with her on Sunday and order some french toast. While eating I would ask her if she thinks they serve french toast in France. (very corny, i know) and then hand her the itinerary.. and say why don't we find out. I think this will give her plenty of time (2 days) to prepare for the trip.<BR><BR>Now I just need a hotel. The one that I mentioned earlier was sold out. The Familia is also sold out. Once I get the hotel I think the rest of the planning will be FUN.. finding a decent hotel certainly isn't.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nick
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 10:54 AM

Hi, I am going for my 10th anniversary in Feb. I looked and looked at hotels trying for cheap and romantic. I finally decided to go back to Hotel Monge in Latin Quarter www.hotelresidencemonge.com I got a room overlooking the garden, large bed, tub (my preference) for 90 euros. I have stayed there before in a single and was very pleased. Not excessively romantic but very clean with minibar, safe etc. Easy access to several Metro stops and easy to walk to rue Mouffetard (good market street with many cafes, shops etc.) <BR>I booked dinner at a restaurant called Chez Julien which is supposed to be VERY romantic, good food and reasonably priced. Look it up on Fodor search for more info. Julie at Hotel Monge promtly booked restaurant reservations for me when I emailed her with my information after I had my room booked. I also got ballet tickets at Opera Garnier online <BR>at www.opera-de-paris.fr/ You can book online and then pick up tickets at boxoffice. Opera Garnier is very beautiful and I think so romantic.<BR><BR>Congratulations!!!<BR>and happy travels<BR><BR>gg
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:27 AM

Nick,<BR><BR>My boyfriend is great but you are putting him to shame! Fantastic plan to let her know over brunch.<BR><BR>Don't forget you owe us a follow up story in return!!<BR><BR>Wendy
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:43 AM

Absolutely (on the follow-up story)! We want the details.<BR><BR>Ah. .. vicarious romance (and I love the French Toast idea!)
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:55 PM

Another Latin Quarter hotel possibility is the Hotel du College de France (http://www.hotel-collegedefrance.com/). It's a two-star hotel, but I thought it was every bit as nice as some three-stars I've stayed in. It's in a great location: near everything in the Latin Quarter, but on a quiet side street so you don't get a lot of street noise. Plus, it's probably within what you had originally budgeted.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 01:26 PM

Just wanted to give my vote for the H&ocirc;tel Residence Monge. I have stayed there twice and really enjoyed the hotel. I found Julie very helpful. I would recommend calling Julie directly to check for vacancies and making the reservations. I think you will have to verify via a fax with a credit card and she will confirm via fax.<BR><BR>H&ocirc;tel Residence Monge<BR>55, rue Monge<BR>75005 Paris<BR>Phone: 01 43 46 87 90<BR>Fax: 01 43 54 47 25<BR><BR>Bon voyage!<BR><BR>Randy<BR>
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 11:05 PM

Check out eurocheapo.com <BR>In july I stayed at Hotel les Argonautes on rue de la huechette for ?35 per night for a single, shared w/c private shower.<BR>Most if not all of the double rooms have private w/c and shower.<BR>The rooms are very simple but very clean, a room at the back of the building is advisable since the street can be noisy at night.<BR>Its right in the middle of the Latin Quarter, close to Notre Dame (Not even a full block away...) various museums and shopping areas.<BR><BR>Have a wonderful trip!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -