Search

Hotels in the Dolomites (Ortisei) for summer

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 09:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in the Dolomites (Ortisei) for summer

Hello
i started looking for hotels in the Dolomites (Val Gardena - Ortisei in particular) for 3 nights stay in August 24and having some difficulty. A couple of cute mid range places with pool/spa facilities told me they dont book for less than a week inAugust and one was already fully booked. Official area travel site valgardena.it has very choices at this time (hopefully they will have more in a few months?) Cold someone please recommend a hotel that is ideally in center of town (Ortisei as I understand it has access to the lifts we are interested in), has family rooms and some sort of relaxation area (pool/sauna/hot tub). Or just sharing your experience- of how did you go about booking -what site and how far in advance would be great. Thanks In advance.
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 04:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved staying at Hotel Grones in Ortisei. We left our car in their underground garage the whole time, walked everywhere including to the lifts.
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 04:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What's your "mid-range" budget? Anything with pool/spa facilities and located in the center of town is likely not going to be my idea of mid-range.

August is probably the most popular month of the most popular season for the Dolomites. If your dates are anywhere near Aug. 15th (say, between Aug. 10th and 18th), availability is severely impacted by Ferragosto which is the biggest summer holiday for Italians.
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

Thank you HappyTrvlr . this is one of the few that is available to book, but prices for quadruple room bit outrageous. May have to get over the shock and book.
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

@jean, yes it's planned precisely for those dates((
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stayed at Hotel Grones a few years ago, pre-pandemic. It was a summer visit and the website indicated a minimum of one week's stay, but I emailed the hotel and we were able to find a solution (I was only stying 5 nights, I believe). You may want to write directly to your choices.

And yes, high season is expensive in the Dolomites.
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 07:07 PM

OK....it's not the center of town...nor mid-range, but our favorite hotel we've ever stayed in is just outside of Ortisei. Check out Uhrerhof Dëur. It's a family run hotel that has has incredible food and a lot of charm. The view is also amazing. It may be too far, and too expensive, but it's worth a look.
Old Oct 5th, 2023, 11:12 PM

My daughter stayed at Hotel Feichter in Bolzano and really enjoyed it. It's not exactly "in" the Dolomites, but the hotel directed her to buses that took her to the various hiking destinations including Alpe de Siusi. She loved coming back to Bolzano afterward -- a charming, vibrant town. Plus there is a lift right in Bolzano to go up to

Hotel: https://www.hotelfeichter.it/it/
Bolzano: https://throneandvine.com/discovering-bolzano/
Old Oct 8th, 2023, 02:34 PM

We just returned from a trip that included 3 nights in Ortisei. We stayed in a hotel called Hotel Scherlin and can recommend it highly. It's outside of the town but we had a car (free parking at the hotel) and could drive it in 10 minutes. But even better, there's a bus stop across the street from the hotel that takes you right to the town center. And a free bus pass comes with the hotel stay. Also, the hotel has a half board option if you want to have diner there.

There are two lifts in town. One goes to Seceda and is very convenient, easily reached from the town center. The young man at the hotel desk (owner's son) told us how to get there. You have to do this one. It's fantastic.

The other lift goes to the Alpe di Suisi. But the same young man advised us that this lift goes to a part of the Alpe di Suisi that is not as interesting as other parts. He suggested we drive to Siusi Seis and take the lift to Compaccio for our hiking, which we did. This trip was good but not as good as Seceda.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
We loved staying at Hotel Grones in Ortisei. We left our car in their underground garage the whole time, walked everywhere including to the lifts.
I second the recommendation for the Hotel Grones. We have stayed there twice, and will return the next time we visit the Dolomites.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 06:24 PM

Another recommendation for the Hotel Grones where we have stayed a number of times.
On our recent stay there was a number of families with children and they have an indoor pool (that has doors opening out in warmer weather), jacuzzi and sauna.
I understand that they have rooms suitable for families.
The food is wonderful and they are very helpful re where to walk, lifts, places to see etc.
Old Oct 10th, 2023, 09:58 PM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
We just stayed at Hotel Hell about 3 weeks ago and despite the very unfortunate name, we found it comfortable and well appointed. Excellent service at reception. Room had a balcony large enough for a group to sit out on. It was at the low end the price range for Ortisei at the time we booked it as well.
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

MichGuy thanks for the details! these 2 lifts is the reason i want to stay in Ortisei -just looking for something walkable to town/lift
Old Oct 31st, 2023, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for the recommendations. I keep looking for walkable/reasonable/available for less than a week.