hotels in spain

Old May 3rd, 2000, 01:00 PM
olga

hotels in spain

could anyone please answer my question? I have been using this forum for ever but have never posted a question. We are going to be traveling in Spain for 2 weeks this June by car: there is four of us (our daughters are 17 and 12). I read many times in this forum that all the hotel rooms in Spain are only for two people. Any suggestions? It might be very expensive to pay for two rooms each time... Is there no other way? Thanks a lot for any advice. Also, any advice on car travel in Spain?
Thanks in advance
Olga

Old May 3rd, 2000, 01:10 PM
Margo

I research information on affordable hotels and I know that you can find hotels that have rooms which accommodate 4 people. When you find the hotel you want simply ask if they have one room for four people.

Old May 3rd, 2000, 01:33 PM
John

Hi, Olga,
No, I think there are 3- or 4-person rooms in quite a lot of areas, but checking ahead is essential. Some of the larger chains, like Accor, Melia or Best Western, might help you narrow your search for hotels with family rooms.
Frankly, though, hotels in Spain are not horribly expensive relative to the rest of Europe so a few nights with two rooms (maybe connecting) might be fun for all concerned.

Regarding car travel in Spain, it's fun and rewarding. Driving in big cities is a hassle, but what else is new?

What's your itinerary?

Old May 4th, 2000, 05:54 AM
olga

Thanks, Margo and John...
John, our itinerary is not ironed out yet - I am still reading postings on this forum, Karen Brown and other books to decide how long to stay where. We are flying into Malaga and out of Barcelona (where we'll return the car). I thought may be spending the first week in Andalucia and then on to Toledo, Madrid and Barcelona. What do you think?

A big question for us is: prebook all the hotels or not? (freedom or security?)

Thanks again

Olga

Old May 4th, 2000, 01:18 PM
Lisa

I loved your question about "freedom or security" once you receive a response, could you please forward it to me. I too am planning a trip and am looking for some decent but not too expensivee (80.00 U.S.) per night, hotels in Madrid and Sevilla.

Old May 5th, 2000, 05:27 AM
Joann

I can tell you one thing - I faced the same question, reserve or take it as it came. I got a little nervous by reading some of the postings and decided to reserve the first couple of nights in Barcelona. My first two choices were booked up for May and most of June. At least for Barcelona - I'd book it ahead of time, especially as you are getting close to peak season.

Happy travels.

Old May 5th, 2000, 05:55 AM
Lily

A small but overlooked town near Barcelona called Granollers is the place to stay!!! There is a hotel there called Hotel Ciutat (I think they have a web site) It is very pleasant and inexpensive. I stay there a few times a year because I have a customer in Granollers.

The price for a double room is about $45 - $65 US. I'm not sure about 4 people. There is a train station within walking distance which for $3 US will take you into Barcelona. From my experience this is the best way to go because parking in Barcelona can be a real nightmare.

If you decide to take this route, be sure and spend a day or an evening walking around Granollers....it's a really pretty town with lots to see and some great places to eat!

Old May 5th, 2000, 06:07 AM
frank

The best value in hotels in Spain are the "paradors" - luxury at a medium price.They are state aided,some are modern but many are old mansions,castles, monasteries, don't book until you've considered them.
You can check out the prices at www.parador.es
Cars : many old Spanish cities are not car friendly,taxis are cheap,buses & trains are good,freeways are the same everywhere.

Old May 5th, 2000, 12:51 PM
martha

Our family just returned from a two week trip to Spain. We are two adults and three small children, 8, 4, 3. None of the hotels we stayed in could accomodate us in one room. The beds in the rooms are small twin beds usually, and we did not encounter any pull-out sofas as you would in the states. At this time, the exchange rate of dollars to pesetas is so great for us, that the hotels, both rooms included, ended up costing about $150-175. Good Luck!

Old May 5th, 2000, 12:57 PM
martha

I forgot to respond concerning car travel. We drove from Madrid to Toledo then south past Sevilla and then to the Costa del Sol, through Granada and back to Madrid. For the most part, the street/highway signs are very easy and helpful. Beware of fast drivers and many motorcycles that pass any which way. Also, on they love to pass on smaller roads, and we were nearly sent off the road a few times. In the cities and towns, the streets are very narrow. Just make sure to slow down at corners and small intersections and use the mirrors placed up on the side of the buildings to view oncoming traffic. We loved having the flexibility of the car, just use extra care until you feel more comfortable with the signs, speed and motos.

Old May 7th, 2000, 04:19 AM
Mary

Hi
We travelled in Spain last summer (August)with out two teenagers. I found hotels in all the places we visited that took four people. All the travel agents said this was not possible!!!. We booked in advance. We had a car so made sure all the hotels had parking for which there is a small fee. Which towns will you be staying in? We were in Seville, Granada, Ronda and Cordoba.

Old May 8th, 2000, 11:32 AM
olga

Thanks to everybody. This forum is terrific! I will definitely book at least in Barcelona and Madrid (and Seville). In fact, I am too getting a little nervous and started to book beginning in Ronda - this will be our first stop. BTW, in Ronda - parador or Don Miguel (both recommended by Karen Brown)? In parador, we have to have a suite that could fit 4 people ($165), at Don Miguel they have two rooms at $55 each.
Mary, did you call the hotels directly and how did you find/choose them? We are starting in Malaga and staying the first night in Ronda, then Seville, Grenada and Cordoba (and stopping in little towns in between); then Toledo, Madrid and Barcelona.

Olga

Old May 8th, 2000, 04:44 PM
Margo

RONDA
HOTEL DON MIGUEL: Calle Villanueva 4-8. Tel: 2877722. Fax: 2878377. (19 rms., all w/toilet & bath or shower.) 5,400/6,400 ptas single; 8,400/9,900 ptas double; 6,500/7,500 ptas triple. Breakfast (8am-12pm) at 550 ptas pp & can be served in the rm. (350 ptas). Visa, MC, AX, DC. English spoken, direct-dial phone, TV w/English channel, fabulous elegant hotel w/large comfortable nicely furnished rms. & modern bathrooms, 2 rms. w/huge terraces & 8 w/normal-size terraces, all back rms. have views of the river, #102, 304, 305 & 306 are the best, air-conditioned, great restaurant w/terrace, bar, elevator, 2 flrs., garage (850 ptas). From the train station, facing hotel Andalucia, turn right on Avenida Andalucia, go past the bus station and straight to the end of Calle San Jose before it turns into Avenida Poeta Rilke, turn left on Calle Jerez/Avenida Doctor Fleming, walk through Plaza de la Merced to Calle Virgen de la Paz until you reach Plaza de Espana, take the last left from the plaza to Calle Villanueva. (Closed Jan. 8th for 15 days.)
http://www.HelloEurope.com

Old May 12th, 2000, 06:28 PM
gail

Olga: we stayed at the Don Miguel for one night in March. We reserved WAY ahead and got one of the back rooms overlooking the gorge. The view was unbelievable. The rooms were comfortable, bathrooms fine, restaurant had wonderful food. We had a rental car and if you're driving I suggest you get directions: it's practically in the center of Ronda on a very narrow street where, apparently, it's ok to pull up onto the sidewalk while you unload your luggage; then the parking garage is just down the street which they open with a remote control from the hotel doorway. (We didn't know this and spent 45 minutes trying to find a legal place to park, finally stowing the car in a different garage and had to move the car after we registered). It was an unbelievable $65 for the night. What a deal!