COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hotels in Spain

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Dave

Hotels in Spain

I'm looking at 2 Different Tours through Spain, Brendan(Globus) and Insight Vacations. Has anyone traveled with either Tour Operator? Experience? Would you travel with them again ? Is there a better Choice ?

These are the Hotels they use, if you know of them, How are they? Good Locations ? Etc.?
MADRID - Cuzco or Melia Galgos
SEVILLE - Zenit or Hesperia Seville Porta Coeli
GRANADA - Carmen or Saray
TORREMOLINOS - Melia Costa del Sol
VALENCIA - Reina Victoria
BARCELONA - Melina

Thank You

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 11:40 AM
Maribel

Dave,
Can't help you with your tour operator choice, but I can help with your Madrid hotels since I know both very well. If you do have a choice, I would certainly opt for the Melia Los Galgos for the very nice, comfortable, fresh rooms, the efficient staff, the much better location in the elegant Salamanca shopping/residential district, two blocks from the American Embassy and the upscale shops of Calle Serrano. Across the street from Los Galgos on Claudio Coello is a small ceramics shop (Ceramica El Alfar) where you can pick up small, inexpensive gift items. The Cuzco is much further up Castellana Blvd. in the northern business district beyond the soccer stadium-a long taxi ride from downtown, and the area surrounding it has much less personality. Plus, there are plentiful, nice tapas bars in the Melia Los Galgos area, including 6 just a couple of blocks away: Meson Cinco Jotas, Jose Luis, Punto Cero, La Farmacia, La Merceria and Taberna Ursula. Also the buffet brk. at the Los Galgos is huge-easily eliminates the need for a big lunch, especially if you're doing heavy sightseeing and don't want to stop for the typical multi-course, long mid-day meal around 2 p.m.

Old Nov 28th, 2001, 12:16 PM
Dianne

Hi Dave,

I returned Nov 4 from Globus's Spectacular Spain. We didn't go to Valencia or Barcelona, but did stay at the Porta Coeli, Carmen, and Melia Costa del Sol. All these were in good locations with plenty of shops, restaurants, etc.

I recently wrote my trip report on Trafalgar's bulletin board if you want all the tour details.

You can find it at http://www.trafalgartours.com/
Click on Bulletin Board, then go to "Travel Advice" and you'll find my post - "My Spain Tour".

Old Dec 1st, 2001, 06:17 AM
olga

Dear Dave:
I agree with Maribel in the Madrid hotel advice. As for Seville, since I am a local and work in the hotel business, I can be more helpful.
The Hesperia is a more upscale hotel,
in a residential area just northeast of the monumental district, close to the newest shopping mall in town. it can give you a sense of how real sevillians live, with very good new restaurants and tapas bars in the area behind the Hotel, and very well communicated with the sights ( 5 min. taxi ride, 15 min.
walk or 10 min. bus ride, right outside the hotel).
The Zenit has a slight worse look from the outside, but the rooms are newer, and you normally get better service at a small to medium hotel like this than a big one like the Hesperia. It´s located in Triana, the typical area where sailors and gipsies used to live
for centuries. It´s just across the river from the main monumental area, about the same distances as the Hesperia, but it´s a much more picturesque area and has some of the best restaurants and tapas bars in town. Also, just minutes from the Hotel, the old pottery district, where you can visit workshops and buy some of the cheapest, most beautiful ceramics
at about 20-50% less that in the touristy shops across the river, by the
Cathedral.

I haven´t been at the Melia Costa del Sol, but it´s the best hotel in Torremolinos and has a great spa.
Great fish restaurants and beach there!

Hotel Carmen in Granada is better located, but going with a group you´ll probably get one of their older, not remodelled rooms.Saray is more confortable and modern.

Old Mar 23rd, 2002, 11:24 AM
Marie

Olga,

You mentioned the Hotel Carmen. I am looking at staying there while in Granada but could not find a review in my travel books. Can you provide any information about the Hotel Carmen? Thank you!

Old Mar 27th, 2002, 10:34 AM
olga

Dear Marie,

I stayed at the Carmen in December and I liked it very much. The rooms are comfortable and modern and the rooftop pool is small but ahs a charming view of the city and the mountains. It has a bar up there in the warm months, too.
The lobby bar is pretty lame and the underground lounge looks kind of tacky, but never mind that, amazing nightlife, bars and restaurants begin just steps from the front door.
Go to Chikito, the restaurant on Plaza Campillo across the avenue and to the left.
The cathedral,the arab market and the shuttle bus to the Alhambra are just a 5 minute walk away. Great shopping at the Corte ingles department store just across the street.
Go for it!

Old Mar 31st, 2002, 02:26 PM
Tom

We stayed at the Saray in Granada a few months ago.

I suppose it all depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for old-world charm, for lack of a better description, the Saray wouldn't be your first choice. The Saray is fairly large (9 or 10 stories, as I recall) and very modern. That said, it's a very nice hotel. The staff was friendly and attentive, and the rooms were quite comfortable. I would stay there again.

The hotel is in an urban area, but not exactly in the center of the action as far as tourists are concerned. The Alhambra and the downtown plazas are perhaps a 10-15 minute cab ride away. But taxis are readily available.