Digital Camera Download in Eruope?

Mar 30th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Mark Fredrickson

Digital Camera Download in Eruope?

Is it pratical to expect to be able to find Internet Cafes that will allow you to hookup your digital camera via serial cable or USB? I believe S/W is necessary to read the camera or USB 'Disk'. Thanks.

Mar 30th, 2002, 04:14 PM
Rex

I think it is not practical, though more and more you mighjt find a place where you can. Net House, in venice, for example seems pretty modern. and I wonder about EasyEverything.

Take a laptop - - you might be able to transfer by floppy disk - - or take to a photo developing place that will burn them to CD for you (might be quick turnaround in a bug city, might not).

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 30th, 2002, 05:34 PM
x

yes let's all wonder about easyeverything or maybe about a poster who gives no response except his name

Mar 30th, 2002, 06:34 PM
Ron

I have been looking into getting a digital camera but the one drawback about having one on vacation is storage. One thing that I've run across is a device that you put the memory chip into that supposedly works like a 3-1/2 diskette that can be read in a diskette drive. I don't know if any special drivers are needed. If this device works the next step would be to see if EasyEverything or other intenet cafe has a diskette drive so that you could ftp the files to a server that would hold them until you get back. I would be curious if anyone have any experience or knowledge on this.

Mar 30th, 2002, 07:29 PM
Diana

Ron, I have an Olympus digital camera which uses SmartMedia cards. I also have a FlashPath floppydisk adapter. and it does require special drivers to make it work. So it's great at home but won't work unless you take the drivers with you and find a place that will let you install them.

Something else I've decided to try for my next trip is a device called a Mindstor. (Previously, it was called a Digital Wallet but when they released the newest version, they changed the name.) The Mindstor reads your cards and stores the images for you. It's sort of like a freestanding hard drive. Then after you get back home, you connect it to your computer via USB and upload. Capacity is 5GB and up. Here is the URL for it: http://www.mindsatwork.net/ . I have one on order and expect it to arrive this week so I can take it on my next trip in two weeks.

Mar 30th, 2002, 09:28 PM
Tom

What is the point of the dig by "x"?

Useful workable answers provided here by every other poster.

Mar 30th, 2002, 09:35 PM
Dina

Last year, we did get 4 European photo shops to burn digital photos onto CDs for us, and the prices ranged from the equivalent of $10 (Montpellier) to more than $50 (Bari). We also got one internet cafe (Le WebBar, Paris) to install Kodak software and let us upload to a server on the internet. I think that's unusual.
If we were to take another long trip, where we'd have more pictures than could be stored on a large Flashcard, I'd go with the Mindstor thing that Diana describes.

Mar 31st, 2002, 12:35 AM

topping

Mar 31st, 2002, 12:48 AM
Marc David Miller

Take a look at

www.dpreview.com

(specifically the forum for storage and memory)

Mar 31st, 2002, 12:54 AM
Simon

The most practical way (and pretty affordable now that memory prices have slumped) is to store your images on flash cards. You can store 100 2megapixel images compressed in JPEG format on a $20 flash card, and reuse it as often as you wish.

Mar 31st, 2002, 04:32 AM
Gretchen

Memory cards are becoming cheaper and cheaper--get more memory cards to take with you. Look at Walmart or CompUSA for
generic brands.
If you have more than a 1.1MP camera, you can decrease your resolution 1 grade and triple your storage capacity but still get acceptable small photos--maybe not poster size. There is also a zip storage drive called PhotoShow to download to (like Digital Wallet) without a laptop. It is about the size of a VHS cassette plus the power cord. Need to be sure of your electricity converter lest you blow it up! You can edit, make albums, crop, correct red eye, etc. I found I could recharge my batteries using the shaver plug in the bathroom in Paris. Didn't leave it on if we were not in the room.

Mar 31st, 2002, 06:42 AM
Diana

I thought about buying more cards. The 128MB cards are now available and I've seen them for around $60. ($85-90 if I want the Olympus brand.) But.....

Last year I took around 800 shots during an eight day trip to Paris. They all fit on one 64MB plus a 32MB. But I took them at low resolution! This year I plan to take most at the highest JPEG resolution my camera has but that would only storee around 90 per 128MB card so since I'm going for two full weeks instead of only 8 days...that would be how many cards? (And If I can recapture that Luxemborg Gardens tree shot, I want to use the TIFF format which would only allow 22 shots per 128MB card.) So, I think the MindStor seems to be the best option for me. I was so pleased with some of the great shots I got last year but so disappointed when I realized that at the low resolutions, they didn't look good printed any larger than 4X6 and were a bit grainy for computer wall paper. And before someone asks, I did discard probably 25% or more when I came home and edited. But it's still cheaper than the old 35mm days when I would take 15-20 rolls of 36 exp film, come home and have them developed and then throw out sometimes up to 50% of the shots. My discard rate is lower with digital, probably because I save some through editing.

Mar 31st, 2002, 08:57 AM
Hubie

Aren't there two issues here? Storing pictures taken on a digital camera (online or on portable media).

and uploading to the internet, whether for storage or to send to someone.

I wonder which Mark was really asking about.

Mar 31st, 2002, 10:51 AM
Dina

I did attempt (above) to answer Mark's question about uploading. In our experience last year, most internet cafe's (the exception of Le WebBar) didn't allow this, because they're concerned about viruses.
Since more travelers every day are willing to pay for this service, it seems internet cafe businesses might be looking for ways to provide it in the near future. But I don't think Mark should expect it yet.

Mar 31st, 2002, 11:54 AM
ttt

to the top

Mar 31st, 2002, 02:55 PM
Gretchen

Diana, do not buy any more Olympus brand memory cards. You need them for the panoramic feature so if you are going to take a panoramic picture, use one then. Otherwise the generic work fine. I have heard -- getting back to Mark --- about getting a CD burned as someone else spoke about. Easier to take more memory. I took a P&S as a backup if I truly ran out of memory. I am a picurholic but 800 pictures is overkill. Just because you CAN take a picture does not mean you need to. Take some time to think about what you want the picture to say/do.

Mar 31st, 2002, 03:57 PM
Dina

Grtechen,
A photo-tech in France told us it was easier to burn a CD using a generic memory card, because with the brand name card (in our case, Kodak) special software needs to be loaded.
I was surprised about Diana's 800-in-one-week figure, too! Wow, that's a lot of picture-taking! We took 800-odd pictures in 7 weeks (at high resolution) and deleted about 100 of them before putting them on CDs.

Search this Thread