HOTELS IN ROME-HELP!

Feb 24th, 1998, 05:05 PM
Eileen

HOTELS IN ROME-HELP!

My husband & I are planning a trip to Rome in April and have no idea where to stay. We like nice places, but can't afford a five star hotel like The Hassler. Also, where would the best location to stay be that is centrally located? Many thanks for any help!

Feb 26th, 1998, 03:19 PM
Joe Lomax

The Hotel Atlante Star on the Via Vittorio Vitelleschi is a nice location between S. Pieto and the Castel S. Angelo. Especially nice is its rooftop resturant/garden. Another good site to look is in the InItaly pages at:

http://www.initaly.com/regions/latium/hotels.htm

Feb 28th, 1998, 11:04 AM
Lee Gruenwald

Hi Eileen, We stayed for 5 nights in Oct. at a small confortable hotel - both moderately priced.
ROME: Hotel Arenula, Via S. Maria De'Calderari 47 (1/2 block off Via Arenula)
tel: 06-687-9454 fax: 06 - 689-6188
- unfortunately no e-mail - I phoned to confirm space, prices, etc. and then they had me fax details
and returned my confirmation by fax. It is in a great locale (edge of the old Jewish Ghetto - 5
minutes to delightful Campo De'Fiori), spotlessly clean, very quiet street (with air conditioned
rooms & triple glazed windows) but close to buses, 1 block to river, 5 minutes walking into the charming Trastevere region, safe at night and a direct bus to the Vatican (10 mins.) or lovely walkup through Gianicolense Park along the river . The people are
friendly and speak several languages. We paid $180,000 lira (about $105 US) in Oct. for a double,
with private bath including a good breakfast - VERY reasonable for Rome. As ALWAYS in Italy, request a quiet interior room whenever booking - the noise is 24 hrs a day. We walked to the majority of tourist sights and found that other than an
occasional life risking dash across a major street, we could wander down narrow cobblestone
charming streets for the majority of the time. If you can get a copy of Fodor's CITYPACK guide book it will make your time so much more enjoyable. The
included map is better than any you can buy in Rome and it really helps to read before you get
there about each sight, prices, opening times location, etc. and study the map to get oriented. It's a very big city and some pre-planning will get you your time and money's worth.

Feb 28th, 1998, 07:14 PM
Eileen Lewis

Hi Lee. Just wanted to thank you for the info. on your Rome hotel. I plan on calling them Monday. You've given us the best advice I've seen all week! Thank you again.

Mar 1st, 1998, 05:19 PM
Dan

Please see my posting of earlier this evening in response to the "4-star and 3-star Rome hotels" inquiry.

Nov 17th, 2000, 03:38 AM
nancy

topping for alice