E-mailing hotels

Nov 15th, 2000, 05:00 PM
Jodi

E-mailing hotels

Anyone have experience with this mode of making reservations? I recently sent a request through emmeti and have yet to hear back. I was wondering about turn around time. I also emailed two recommended hotels in Rome, Teatro and Due Torri, and was wondering if others have tried this method with either one of them. Thanks for the input. P.S. I used a phrase book to make the requests in Italian.

Nov 15th, 2000, 05:10 PM
Al Godon

You might have insulted them without knowing it. (Or perhaps like JFK you told them you were a jelly donut. You may have have heard of his speech in Berlin when he said, "Ich bin ein Berliner." )
My experience with email reservations is limited. But I was successful with hotels in Paris, Vienna, and Salzburg. I got positive responses from all of them.
Perhaps Italy is a different ball game!
In fact I know it is. One friend of mine, who speaks Italian like the native she is, has to rank among the top 5% in terms of being an attractive female.
She has been out of Italy for a few years and has become more aware of how Romans react. Last month on a visit home, she arrived at the train station and went out to take a cab. The drivers were totally indifferent to her presence.
I can only conclude that it was an act, or they were blind, or that they were lazy, or that Italian men don't much care for attractive women under 30.

Nov 15th, 2000, 05:59 PM
Patrick

Are you emailing them directly? Many times you bring up a hotel on a web site and find that if you click the email button you are really going through some booking service. I have not had good luck with those, but have always had good luck emailing directly to a hotel. And I don't attempt to do it in their language with the exception of a merci or grazie at the end. The only problem I did have was with Greek hotels, but figured it was because many of them were closed for the winter when I was trying to reach them. Otherwise i usually got responses within one day, two or three at most.

Nov 15th, 2000, 06:05 PM
sandi

I made reservations with a hotel in Verona, Venice, Florence, San Gimignano, Sorrento and Rome all via email. If no one responded within a couple of days I would email another hotel in the city that fit my criteria. I had no problems with any of the reservations I made, once we got there. I was sure to bring the confirmation they sent me. I made all my requests in english too.

Nov 16th, 2000, 05:04 AM
elaine

I have been successful both with faxing and emailing hotels directly, not going through booking clearinghouses.
I suspect that in some hotels, particularly small ones, only one person has the responsibility for booking and responding to inquiries, and that coupled with the time difference often means that a reply will take 2 or 3 days. If I don't get a response I ask again--emails can be deleted by mistake, faxes can be misplaced. That's also why it's best to take a printed copy of the confirmed arrangements with you when you go.

Nov 16th, 2000, 06:59 AM
dahlia

Be very careful of e-mail transactions as we had a very bad experience with it particularly with Hotel Chiusarelli - Siena (highly recommended in this forum. Although we brought with us a hard copy of the e-mail transaction/confirmation, the management ignored it, said they do not have a record of it, the hotel was full and suggested we stayed in another hotel they recommended. When we questioned the hotel, hotel management said either we take the recommended hotel or sleep in the car.

Nov 16th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Diane

I've heard from several hotels that I contacted through emmeti. I've mainly been asking for availability and rates. I've then confirmed when it fit what I wanted. In many cases it seems to depend on how comfortable the hotel is with email/web sites, etc. Some still asked for a faxed, signed form so that they can charge your credit card if you don't show up or cancel w/i the appropriate time frame. Others are satisfied with email. In any event, you should get either a final confirmation from them via email OR fax. I feel a little more confident when I've exchanged a couple of emails with the hotel...1)request availability and 2) either a confirmation that we'd like to make reservation for the specified dates or 3) "Thank you for the information, but we will probably make other arrangements." I think the last is probably just polite...some of these places only have a dozen rooms, and certainly don't want to be left with vacancies during "high seasons" -- or unsure of who to schedule for work for how many days during "low seasons."

Nov 16th, 2000, 09:31 AM
jenna

We made ALL our hotel reservations by e-mail, and everything was fine, just bring hard copies of the e-mails as confirmations. The people who mentioned the booking agencies are correct -- try to e-mail the hotel directly if you can. We asked primarily about en suite bathrooms, bed size (husband is the Jolly Green Giant - 6'5")and nonsmoking rooms, and interestingly enough, we would receive detailed answers about everything except the smoking status. When I'd e-mail again to ask specifically about it, again, noncommittal response. HINT: that means they don't distinguish between smoking and nonsmoking rooms, but don't want to lose you as a potential customer by admitting it.

If this is important to you, tell them you have asthma and cannot tolerate tobacco smoke -- this will usually result in a forthright response about the smoking status. If they try to avoid the question, you know what the answer is.

Nov 16th, 2000, 09:35 AM
Thyra

I also have booked dozens of hotels online. The only thing I would recommend is not to send your CCRD number over email. I always fax mine instead. Then be sure and print out a copy of your confirmation and bring it with you. (if you are kind of paranoid, like me, make copies and stash one in your luggage in case you loose the others). We've only had problems twice with hotels not being able to find our names in the book and it was a relief to be able to produce our email correspondence.

Nov 16th, 2000, 12:02 PM
Jodi

Thank you all for the feedback. I still haven't heard from emmeti so I will try again. However, Due Torri in Rome got back to me in a day with a very nice message. Thyra: I will definitely take your advice about CC info over unsecure email. In fact you read my mind about it. Will keep you informed if any worth reporting comes up.

Nov 16th, 2000, 01:17 PM
Steve

Rick Steves' web site (and book) have a sample fax you can send to hotels. Some hotels either do not have e-mail connections or do not respond promptly because the messages travel thru a booking service. Last month, we made reservations in Belgium & Luxembourg via e-mail & fax. We elected to stay in those that happened to respond via e-mail. Most others responded promptly via fax, often with an apology that they were fully booked. Rick Steves recommends that you include your card number on the fax when you ASK for a room; we've omitted that and still had positive responses from hotels. Also, as mentioned above, we do not include the card # in our first e-mail but have done so on subsequent confirmation e-mails. No problems.

Nov 16th, 2000, 02:08 PM
alan

Hi! We used e-mail to book a hotel room in Istanbul this fall. We had no problem though I did take hard copies of our correspondance just in case. We also did not give a deposit as none was requested. Good luck alan

Nov 16th, 2000, 02:47 PM
nancy

Jodi,
As far as e-mailing to hotels in italian.
Did you also send an english version of what you were trying to say?
As far as insulting anyone;I do not think that would be so.
I was in communication with a hotel, and when it came time to fax our credit card info, and request specific rooms, I asked if it would be alright if I wrote in italian and english, ( if they would think I was pretentious or rude, by doing so.)
I received a lovely response back, that they would think it was very nice of me to try my skills in their language,( and expressing surprise that anyone would want to learn italian!)
I have since sent all my communications to italy in both italy first and then the english translation below.
It has been great practice.
Good luck and enjoy your visit when you go!
nancy

Nov 16th, 2000, 02:48 PM
nancy

Jodi,
One more thing.
A travel agent I know told me it would not be unusual to wait a week for a reply to a fax.
nancy

Nov 17th, 2000, 03:15 AM
Fwhiteside

I made a reservation at a Tokyo hotel ( in English ). No problem.

Nov 17th, 2000, 03:45 AM
Neva

Jodi -- I booked all our hotels through e-mail -- including at the Due Torri -- and had no problems with forgotten or lost reservations upon arrival, though now I'm a little worried about having sent my MC number through the mail. One suggestion, in addition to printing out your correspondence and taking it with you: Call the hotel the day before your arrival to confirm the reservation and, if possible, give an arrival time. Have fun!