Search

Hotels in Rome

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:05 PM
joanne

Hotels in Rome

Help. Its my mam & dads 40th wedding anniversary and I want to send them on a trip to Rome.Nothing too expensive but not cheap either. <BR>Can anyone recommend any reasonable priced hotels. <BR>I've considered The Colonna Palace,Nazionale and Eliseo.Anyone stayed here. <BR>Also what will the weather be like in March? <BR>Questions questions questions but not many answers

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:14 PM
elaine

joanne <BR>there have been many Rome hotel suggestions here; if you use the search function at the top of your screen, search for Rome hotel, be patient, and it will come. <BR>For new recommendations now, could you mention how much you are looking to spend? <BR>for historical weather info for March, <BR>look at www.wunderground.com <BR>or www.washingtonpost.com, click on weather

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 01:25 PM
marj

We were there this past March. It was sunny and 70s/low 80s during the day and 60s/70s at night. I believe this is on the warm side for that time of year. I'm not familiar with those hotels. We stayed at Santa Chiara.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 05:20 PM
Mary

I have just returned from Rome with my husband and kids. We stayed at HotelMontecarlo near Pizza Repubblica. It was clean, pretty quiet, and quaint. There was a/c, bathrooms, with blow dryers, and the cutest elevator. We paid just over $700 for 5 nights, including a continental breakfast. I cannot say that the service was great, but it suited our needs. I must admit that I kept thinking about the Fodors quote, "location, location, location". This was not the greatest. Just thougt I would share. <BR>Mary

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:48 PM
Surlok

I haven't stayed in any of them, but passed by many times. <BR> <BR>As far as location is concern, the Colonna and Albergo Nazionale are much better. The Eliseu is at Via Porta Pinciana, they'd be not far Piazza di Spagna, but they'd have a long walk to reach the other sites, as Piazza Navona, the Pantheon, the Foro Imperiale, whereas both, Nazionale and Colonna are very centrally located, regarding all the touristic sites. Besides, the Eliseu is an old hotel, and although it was refurbished, doesn't look really nice to me. <BR> <BR>The Colonna is said to be a very nice hotel, but it caters to groups. Albergo Nazionale, if I'm not wrong, has larger rooms, and is a little bit more exclusive, but they'll be fine in both of them. They are not far from each other, so, check which style of decor pleases you, or your parents more, or which rates are more convenient, and make your choice. <BR> <BR>This is what Fodors say about Nazionale: <BR> <BR> <BR> NAZIONALE A MONTECITORIO <BR> Piazza Montecitorio 131, Rome <BR> 00186, Italy <BR> Phone: 06/695-001 <BR> Fax: 06/678-6677 <BR> The Spanish Steps to Trevi <BR> Over 500000 lire <BR> <BR> <BR> This is one of the most historic of Rome's hotels. Given its prime location adjacent to the Parliament, this 16th-century palazzo has been the venue <BR>for any number of momentous pow wows of Italy's top politicos. In keeping with its national importance, it offers every traditional service and modern comfort: homey yet regal rooms, a bar, a restaurant, meeting rooms, and first-class staff. The buffet breakfast is not only lavish but unforgettable, due to the eye-popping polychrome marble floors of the restaurant. The second-floor penthouse suite offers a private terrace and amazing views. 87 rooms, 1 suite. Restaurant, bar, 2 meeting rooms, parking (fee). AE, DC,MC, V. Continental breakfast. <BR> <BR>I hope it hlps, <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 08:03 PM
Leslie

When you do your search on this site for Rome Hotels, or even under Fodors recommendations, you'll see the Albergo Santa Chiara comes recommended by many. We stayed there in April and found it a lovely 3 star hotel in a great location on the Piazza della Minerva. They have a very nice breakfast buffet by Italian standards. I think the best central locations are in this area running from the Piazza Navona and Pantheon towards the Spanish Steps(Piazza di Spagna). This is the "Centro Storico." I would not prefer the area of the Piazza della Rebublica or near the train station as these are farther from the main tourist attractions and the train station area (Statione Termini) is more seedy. The Spanish Steps area is quite upscale with many high fashion shops (Gucci, etc.) along the Via Condotti.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 10:19 PM
Surlok

Both hotels, Albergo Nazionale and Colonna Palace are very close to Piazza della Minerva, in fact, they are a little north from it, since they are in Piazza Colonna, a very nice location, even closer to the Spanish Steps than the Piazza della Minerva is. <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 01:42 PM
joanne

Thanx everybody for your replies.Its was my first time on this site and found all the advice very useful. <BR>Added the site to my favourites so I can enjoy everyones elses thoughts