COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Hotels in Rome

Old May 16th, 2001, 08:41 PM
Jackie

Hotels in Rome

I am looking for a recommendation for a hotel in Rome that is close to the Vatican and St. Peter in the price range of $100-200 per night. I have a hold on one in City Centre called the Grand Hotel Ritz. Does anyone know anything about that hotel? Is it near the sites I am looking for? This is my first trip to Rome and I want to make sure I am in the "right" area.

Old May 16th, 2001, 09:02 PM
richardab

I ALWAYS recommend the Hotel Due Torri which is bewteen the Spanish Steps and the Piazza navona. It is in the old part of the city and is convenient to everything. I never heard anyone complain about the location...

The Due torri is a nice simple hotel with modern baths, clean rooms and old world charm. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Considering how noist Rome is, this hotel is very quiet.

I have some pics of it on my websight plus a lot more helpful info about Rome including sights, tips and restaurants. Check it ou!

http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/

The websight for the Hotel Due Torri is-

http://www.hotelduetorriroma.com/

Hope this works! You may try to do a search using their name to see all the favorable comments!

Old May 16th, 2001, 09:20 PM
Rex

There are numerous positivie comments about due torri, as Richard says, but a lot of other good hotels "in the area" also. I have had positive experiences with the Albergo Cesari (Oct 1999) and Albergo del Senato (May 2001). the Santa Chiara also gets consistently favorable comments here.

None of the four of these would typically be considered "close to the Vatican" - - and few, if any, repeat travelers to Rome on this board recommend staying near the Vatican, as it is not convenient to the myriad other desired destinations within Rome.

An often recommended web site for an overview of Rome is www.twenj.com - - and it has the benefit that its creator(s) Ed (and Julie) are "regulars" here - - and they have been known to answer e-mail inquiries if you are not finding the answers you seek, here on the forum itself.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old May 17th, 2001, 12:39 AM
xxx

The Hotel Spring House is close to the Vatican, in that price range and it consistently gets good reviews. Check them at http://www.rome4u.com/hotels/shouse/

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:48 AM
m

the area near the vatican is convenient for the vatican and st. peters but not as convenient for most other sites. the 'old rome' area is very convenient to almost anything else, a short bus ride to the vatican (although the vatican is a short bus ride to eveything else). old rome is the area near the pantheon, piazza navona, camp d'fiori. i stayed at santa chiari with my family. it was very nice. probably in the higher end of your price range.