COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

New Athens airport: Taxi to town

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 03:06 AM
Roger Vineall

New Athens airport: Taxi to town

Does anyone know how long is the taxi trip from the new Athens airport (opened March 2001) to central Athens and how much it costs?

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 04:12 AM
Ishoo

The new airport is roughly twice as far from Athens and will probably cost about twice as much. Old: 7 miles, $7-10. New: 14 miles, c.$14-20. Depending on the time of day for time. Information was taken from Frommers.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 04:47 AM
Monica

I'm going to Greece in May and the woman at the hotel (Hotel Attalos) where I will be staying told me the taxi ride from the new airpot to Athens is between 7.000 to 8.000 GDR. Current exchange rate is around 375GDR/$1.

A couple of people on fodors.com have mentioned it could take about 2 hours because of the traffic problems!

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 03:13 PM
CaptB

We landed in the Athens Airport two weeks ago at 7:00PM & it took the taxi atleast any hour with no traffic. But note that the highways are not completed & with all the construction, detours & heavier traffic it could take even longer. What ever you do, land before midnight as the taxi rates jump & taxis are hard to find.

Old May 13th, 2001, 10:07 AM
Parag

I am just back from Greece on 5th May.The new airport El Venizelos is near a tomn called Spata.There are airport buses E-94, every 10 minutes to Athens Syntagma.It takes 45 min. to 1 hr.& costs 1000 dr.& is very comfortable.It leaves from the arrivals exit gate.The tickets are bought on the bus & are valid on metro & local buses for 24 hrs.Bus E-96 goes from Airport to Pireus.
At night there are no taxis available from 11.00 pm to 12.00midnight.Taxis wait outside till 12.oo to get double rates.

Old May 14th, 2001, 09:39 AM
Kathy

I e-mailed a taxi service in Athens and was quoted $50 from the airport in Spata to the Grand Bretagne near the Plaka. We land at 6pm. Does this seem excessive? There will be 4 of us.

Old May 14th, 2001, 05:39 PM
Ami

Kathy -- I am having my travel agency in Athens arranging for my transfer from the airport to our hotel in Plaka and they are charging the same price. I remember reading somewhere that this is the regular price if you have someone meet you at the airport. I believe it is cheaper if you grab a taxi at the airport, but we didn't want the hassle. Have fun!!

Old May 17th, 2001, 07:51 AM
Monica

I returned from Greece on Monday (great trip!) Our taxi ride at 9am from the center of Athens (Hotel Attalos) took 50 minutes and cost ust 6.000DR. (about $15.50).