Hotels In Prague

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Bill

Hotels In Prague

Need help with Prague hotels and finding the best value. Want something very centrally located and also nice. Hopefully things are pretty cheap by October. Any magic ideas?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:28 PM
Leslie

October is traditionally considered high season, but with the recent floods, I would guess that prices would be favorable. Don't bother with the hotels in lower Mala Strana, as many of them were flooded out, and I know of one that won't reopen until April because of the damage the flooding caused. You might need to seek hotels on higher ground, as damage was minimal in those areas.

Don't know what your pricing is but you might try the Hotel Metamorphesus, which is in the Old Town Square, behind the Tyn Church. You could also try Hotel U Prince which is directly across from the Astrological Clock and the tourist information center. Closer to the Charles Bridge on the Old Town side is the Cloister Inn and the Bethlem Club. You might also look into apartment rentals -- there are many nice ones available, and some also include breakfast.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:45 PM
lynlor

Have you looked at the rants and raves section of Fodors? The Savoy is mentioned very favorably there. It sounds like a "dream" hotel to me, and that is where I want to stay when I go to Prague. It doesn't meet your requirement to be centrally located as it is by the castle , but it meets two of your requirements. It sounds nice (really wonderful) and it sounds magical.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 08:23 PM
Linda

Try nethotels.com or avetravel.cz We stayed at what is now Guesthouse Balbin near the Muzeum Metro and Wenceslas Square. It is nice--on top floors of apartment building, safe, clean, excellent buffet breakfast, shower/toilet in room, nice staff. It is 5-10 minute walk to just about anywhere you want to go.

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 09:30 PM
Georgine

Bill,

I would offer you one word of caution in selecting your hotel location ---remember that some of the metro stops are not operational ---among them being Namesti Republiky and Malostranka.
(You can check the Prague Post on-line for continuing coverage on damage and scheduled repair schedule for the stations within the system.)

These two stations are among the most used by tourists as they move about the city. You will need to either walk further or take alternate above-ground trams, which are now overcrowded because of the problems with the subways.

Although inconvenient, it won't stop you from seeing the sights. You will just need additional time because of transport alterations.

Staying on castle hill gives you great views, but can be inconvenient for nightime activies. All the action is down the hill (a good 10 minute walk downhill to the river and much longer going back uphill late a night.)

Tram service becomes much less frequent after you hit 9:00 pm.

Plan your sightseeing activies wisely to avoid wasted hours on public transport.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:58 AM
ajs

We stayed at the Metamorphis in July. Highly recommend it. Staff was wonderful, location outstanding. Wherever you choose, I would make sure to be near Old Town Square, as that is near the majority of the best sites in Prague. Up on the hill by the castle would be a brutal walk at the end of each day.