Hotels in Portovenere

Apr 27th, 1998, 12:24 AM
Molly

Hotels in Portovenere

I am thinking of staying at Hotel Paradiso or Grand Hotel Portovenere (in Portovenere) in late May. According to the Italian Tourist Web Guide and the 1998 Michelin Red Book, the GHP is rated as a 3 star average hotel and Paradiso is rated as 1 star economy-class hotel. In an earlier posting about 3 weeks ago, someone mentioned that Paradiso is a 3 star hotel. I received availability/pricing information back from both hotels, and have found that Paradiso charges like a 3 star hotel (L260,000 or about $150 for double room with mandatory halfboard), for a 1 star hotel. Although all rooms at the Paradiso has ocean-view, I found out that the GHP has only ocean-view suites left (at L360,000 or about $210 with breakfast only) or regular rooms with rear view (at L225,000 or about $130 with breakfast only). If anyone has stayed at these hotels I appreciate any comments about your experiences there. The rooms at Paradiso seem really small, but the hotel seems to be more hospitable than the GHP. Perhaps the Paradiso has more charm than the GHP?? I wanted an ocean-view room with breakfast only, but since it's not available, I will have to compromise. Is Paradiso a good hotel? Why would Paradiso be better than the GHP? Is the price worth it? Thanks for any comments/advice! Molly

Apr 27th, 1998, 10:50 PM
Molly

By the way, if anybody's stay included half-board at Paradiso, how was the food (breakfast & dinner) there? Is GHP better? Thanks!

Apr 29th, 1998, 11:54 PM
Julie

Has anyone also stayed at the Stella Maris, in Portovenere? How are the recommended room #4 and #7 different from each other. Which is better? Thanks!

Apr 30th, 1998, 07:24 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Let me try to help again---seems to be alot of
interest in this area. The Paradiso is a fine 3 star
and is better value than GHP, but the food is not
very good. Try to get it without HB, but during
season these folks are in the drivers seat.
Does the hotel really matter---the village is the
star. The Belvedere is next door and also good, but
has no web page. By the way, Stella Maris is in
Levanto, and that is 20 miles north of here.
Another option is the Baia in Le Grazie, about 2
miles from Portovenere, and the Royal Sporting Club
a 4 star on the water about a half mile out from the town. THIS VILLAGE IS MAGICAL--ENJOY!

Apr 30th, 1998, 09:38 AM
Abbie

BOB THE NAVIGATOR mentioned the Hotel Belvedere in Portovenere and I've been looking for a phone or fax for the place. I had friends stay there last year and really thought it was great. Does anyone have these numbers? Thanks!

Apr 8th, 1999, 08:34 PM
marc

To Bob the Nav:
you seem to know lots about the portovenere area, what do you think of Le Grazie, is it less crowded? how does it compare to being right in Portovenere or at a small place in Cinque Terre. Also you mentioned the Hotel Baia. I was looking at their web site and looks really intriguing. Is it as nice as it looks?