Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What would you absolutely NOT take on your trip next time?

Apr 1st, 1999, 04:50 PM
Stephen

OK, we have a what would you take thread! What would you absolutely not take? My list is too long to put here, how about yours?

Apr 1st, 1999, 05:58 PM
elvira

stiletto heels, the Ferrari, or my husband.
OK that was in fun; for real: shampoo, more than two paperbacks, the corkscrew with wings

Apr 2nd, 1999, 05:29 AM
Martha B

My 110 volt hair dryer. Even if you have a 110-to-220 transformer, that's two appliances to haul around.

Apr 2nd, 1999, 06:06 AM
Tammy

I will never travel on vacation overseas again with a large suitcase (even with wheels) or a curling iron.

Apr 2nd, 1999, 06:37 AM
martha

Makeup other than one lipstick and a booklet of papier poudre from the Body Shop, the traditional "small bottle of Ivory soap for hand washables," or my whole address book.

Apr 2nd, 1999, 07:13 AM
Maira

Laundry detergent, worries about work, too many paperbacks and heels.

Apr 2nd, 1999, 11:07 AM
tidy and perplexed

I am heading to Europe myself this month, and I was planning to take LAUNDRY DETERGENT. Why on earth would you not bring detergent? Or shampoo?

Apr 2nd, 1999, 11:24 AM
martha

Depends on your hotel, of course. We stay in ones that give you shampoo, which you can also use to wash out your unmentionables, etc.

Apr 2nd, 1999, 04:43 PM
Catherine

I will never again lug around my hang glider and portable barbecue.The air stewardess was an absoloute dog about putting them in the overhead luggage compartment!

Apr 2nd, 1999, 05:43 PM
elvira

shampoo and laundry detergent is either 1)available in the hotel bathroom (yes, use the shampoo to wash your clothes) or 2)so easily purchased it's not worth the dragging (it has EXPLODED in my suitcase ONCE and that was it...). I take a little sample bottle size for the first night in case I'm too tired to go to the pharmacie.
And, Catherine, you must have had the same airline attendant I did...she told me I had to check the portable generator and armoire...

Apr 2nd, 1999, 08:50 PM
Beverly

Traveling companions who need to find restaurants that serve only "American" food, and who can't get around because they can't (won't) speak or read the native language!
Never again!

Apr 2nd, 1999, 10:42 PM
fran

Beverly, I agree, along with that, a travel companion who has to stop to eat every 2 hrs or will feel ill.

Apr 3rd, 1999, 03:24 AM
Maira

I would buy the laundry detergent once there at a local store. Same w/shampoo if needed. Is fun to see other countries's brands.

Apr 3rd, 1999, 09:53 AM
arline

I would NEVER take, again, my hard-sided trunk with wheels, especially on board the airlines. They threw a fit, were nasty, and wouldn't even help me load it in the overhead compartments. It must have taken me 10 minutes to get it up there and all the people waiting behind me were making ugly, anti-american comments!!

Apr 4th, 1999, 04:00 AM
The Biker

Here are the things I have learned the hard way *not to take with* on my future worldwide travels: my pond, plutonium,
the aged citizens of Des Moines, a gross of durans, unraveling Egyptian mummies and the Easter bunny. Never again do I want to go through that nightmare! Twice was enough.

Apr 5th, 1999, 03:04 AM
Juan

I'd say the main thing not to take is too much luggage. So many inexperienced (or just foolish) travelers take 2 bags. Take only one bag per person and be sure it's a bag you can comfortably carry several blocks at least fully loaded. Don't take bags with wheels as they don't work well on cobblestone streets etc in Europe.

Apr 5th, 1999, 04:37 AM
elaine

I have to say I disagree with the advice to take luggage without wheels. I've done it both ways and won't take it without wheels again, at least to the places I've been in Europe. The wheels are a pain on cobblestones and on stairs, but I feel that is more than
offset by the ease of wheeling the luggage on smooth streets, through stations and airports, etc.

Apr 5th, 1999, 06:28 AM
Tammy

In an earlier post I said that I wouldn't take a large suitcase, even if it did have wheels. However, I would take a small suitcase with wheels. I have found the larger the suitcase, the more junk you end up hauling around, and most of it is not needed.

Apr 5th, 1999, 04:45 PM
Nuba

I would definitely not take an umbrella. Even when it rained I didn't use mine because it was too much of a hassle to carry it around all day and worry about losing it. Not to mention umbrellas can be bought anywhere if you *really* feel you need one. And in some places where it's windy, they aren't much help anyway.

Next time I go overseas, I will take hardly anything at all, just a change of clothes, toiletries, a notebook, pen, camera, film, and my passport, tickets, and ID. Depending on the season, a jacket. I would maybe wear pants on the way there and take a skirt or dress in my luggage. I found that I liked to buy a few items of clothing from the places I visited, but then my bag got too full from all the clothes. I actually had to ship a box of clothes back home to myself to make room in my suitcase.

I really don't think it is necessary to take much of anything with you when you go, especially if it's less than three or four weeks.

Apr 7th, 1999, 02:06 AM
Gene M.

I just want to say I really got a laugh from that answer from The Biker. ROTFL.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO