Reload this Page >

Hotels in Paris District 5

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:30 PM
Marge

Has anyone stayed at any of these hotels in the Latin Quarter in Paris: Hotel Central Saint Germain, Hotel D'Albe, or Hotel Elysa Luxembourg? Also, any comments on how good an area this is or if another district would be better/safer for a first-time visitor?<BR>Thanks!

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:34 PM
Sue

If you run a search on here, I'm sure you'll get some info re those hotels. As to which arrondissment to stay in, I prefer the 6th to the 5th. In general, it's quieter but certainly right in the heart of lots of activity, right next door to the 5th. If you are a student or in early 20ies, you might like the 5th just fine, however. Sweeping generalizations, I realize, but just my take on it.

Old Jul 23rd, 2002, 01:35 PM
Sue

whoops--arrondissEment!

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Christina

I haven't stayed in those but know where they are. I think that area is convenient and fine for a first time visitor, and safe. I myself do not like hotels in really busy locations with a lot of tourists and two of those are pretty much like that -- the Albe (the worst location) and Central St-Germain (it's on a side street but I don't find the area between the Sorbonne and the Seine appealing.<BR><BR>I don't think the 6th is quieter than the 5th. The 5th is a very large arrondisement and most of it is pretty quiet. The main areas where a lot of tourists stay in the 6th, right aroudn bd St-Germain (plus that street itself) are just as noisy to me. The are just off the Seine, rues de la Harpe and Huchette is the absolute worst part of either IMO and that's where the Albe is. These are narrow pedestrian streets selling souvenirs to tourists and a lot of noisy cheap restaurants and takeout places (desserts and food), some with really bad food. there are touts on the sidewalk trying to sell you something or get you to come in their restaurant. The Albe is right in the middle of that,pretty much. Lots of young people hang out in both areas, particularly around the Odeon metro and the park near the Cluny museum, Sorbonne square and the area I just mentioned above. Maybe it seems a little younger because of the people with backpacks hanging out in that park which is in front of a McDonalds, but those few blocks are just a small fraction of the Latin Quarter. There are some youth-oriented shops along bd St-Michel (CDs, clothses, shoes, etc) but that street is both the 5th and 6th, it splits it.<BR><BR>There are some streets in St-Germain fairly similar, just not totally pedestrian, but not quite as bad as that area. I like the are of the Elysa Lux. and I think its an okay hotel but nothing special (or terrible); I don't know if the Central is better. You can see some comments on digital.france.com/hotels as well as www.paris.org/Hotels<BR><BR>Some people like being in the middle of things where the Albe is, so it's hard to tell (it is certainly close to things), but without knowing more of your taste, I think it would be safer to suggest the other two locations, I'd choose the Elysa.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 12:42 PM
Sherri Kardell

Dear Marge;<BR>not knowing your preferences or budget here are some moderately priced( $125- $!75) hotels you might like in the 4th: check out the hotel de la Bretonnerie; you can find out more by logging on to www.karenbrown.com punch France then region Paris. also www. carondebeauarchais.com<BR>in the 5th: hotel Parc Saint- Severin; be sure to request a high floor that does no face the street.The rooms are small; very modern; and imaculate.If you want to splruge see the Relais St. Jacques also by logging on to Karen Brown. in the 7th: check out the hotel Verneuil ( the best moderately priced hotel I know of) you can't beat the location boardering the 6th arrondissement near by: the Louvre Musee d' Orsay ans Blvd. St. Germain. The rooms are tiny I suggest you request a large double with a balcony; this should not run you over $150 . The rooms are very pretty and the staff is great. I have an article on this hotel ; if you want it email me.<BR>I have lots of info. on the 6th ; but most of the hotels I know of start around $175- $200 email me if you want info. on those as well.<BR>Good luck and Viva La France<BR>p.s. you can find out more info. by doing a search on Google under hotels in the 6th arrondissement Paris France<BR> (you'll also get info. on the 5th and 7th ) to the top

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 01:27 PM
Howard

If you're looking for a good hotel in teh 5th, I strongly recommend the Grandes Ecoles on rue Lemoine. Let me know if you want more info.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Julie

We have stayed in two hotels in the 5th, both of which we like very much--Parc St. Severin on rue de la Parchemenarie and Hotel de Notre Dame on Rue Maitre Albert. The former seems to have larger rooms. The latter has Dominique, the most wonderful bustling concierge in Paris. The latter is probably also quieter. Rooms are in the $115 to $168 US range.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Dianne

We stayed at the Parc Saint Severin this past April for a week. Very nice hotel, good sized room, great staff, central location. Definitely ask for a room on 5th or 6th floor, very quiet. Our sixth floor room had a huge terrace with views of the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the Pantheon, 175 euro. Other rooms on this floor and the 5th are less.