Hotels in Nurmberg

Old Jun 19th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Nurmberg

My friend and I are traveling to Germany in December for the Christmas Markets. We've decided to spend (4) nights in Nurmberg, visit Nurmberg and make day trips.

We are looking for a place to stay - would prefer the alstadt, near the Christmas Markets and a place with some charm (not too modern). Romantik Hotel Am Josephsplatz is brought up a lot on this board. Are there any others that the pros would recommend?

Also, a bit off my title topic, but we will be staying 1 night/1 day in Munich before our flight - any hotel recommendations (same as above) in Munich? Near the Christmas Markets, some charm?

Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 19th, 2008, 05:09 PM

I stayed at the Deutscher Kaiser several years ago and liked it. The hotel itself is quite attractive. The rooms are comfortable but small. I'd suggest reservations for December.
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Pegontheroad. I contacted this hotel regarding a room and they wanted 200Euro/per night - a bit more than we want to pay. It looked like a wonderful hotel! I also contacted the Romantik Hotel Am Josephsplatz and they gave us a quote of 130Euro for a smaller double room with twin beds - this is more in our price range.

Has anyone stayed in the 'smaller' double room at the Romantik Hotel Am Josephsplatz? For those of you looking to stay here ... I was also told they now have a (3) night minimum stay over the Christmas season.

Any other suggestions. We are looking to stay under 160Euro.

Anything for Munich?

Thank you for your help!
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 04:21 AM

You can check hrs.com for hotels.

You should be able to find many hotels for less than €100 in Nürnberg, even during the Christmas Market season.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Cowboy!

In looking at a map of Nurnberg, it looks as though the Romantik Hotel Am Josephsplatz is a bit of a distance from the main train station.

Can anyone who has stayed at this particular hotel or is familiar with the city tell us if it is a hike, as the map seems to show? We will solely be using the train as our transportation. We also will be taking day trips to Bamburg and possibly Regensburg.

We are in our 30's so walking isn't a problem, but not sure if we want to walk 2 miles (as the map seems to show). We also would like to stay in the Alstadt, where it is more quaint.

Hoping someone who is familiar with this hotel or who has stayed there can give us a bit of information on whether or not the location is ok.

We also heard back from the hotel regarding their room offer - it seems their street facing rooms are booked, so ours would be a courtyard view. We kind of have the attitude that we only sleep in the room - so the view really doesn't matter ... but from reading a few posts, it seems courtyard rooms can be small and dingy - so again, asking for help - has anyone stayed in one of these courtyard facing rooms at the Hotel Am Josephsplatz?

Thanks for the help and sorry for the long post.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 12:53 PM

RileyBug:

Wow! The Deutscher Kaiser certainly has increased its prices since I was there--I guess it was in 1997. Maybe the 11 year difference explains that.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Pegontheroad, I was surprised at the price myself! I checked out the hotel on-line and it looked wonderful. I'm finding many of the hotels in Nurmberg have high rates during December due to the Christmas Markets.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 03:04 PM

We stayed in Burghotel Stammhaus in Dec 2006 and loved it. In Altstadt, up the hill from the Markt, excellent breakfast, nice people, reasonable price, pickup at the airport, small, close to the castle. We always have stayed at small (5-15 room) hotels in Germany and this one matches our model.
Old Jun 22nd, 2008, 05:52 PM

Riley;

I have stayed at the Josephsplatz. It is a nice hotel very close to heart of Nuremberg's attractions.

I would recommend that you stay at a hotel close to the altstadt rather than to the train station. Take a bus or taxi if you find the walk too much.

Would you rather have to walk to the heart of Nuremberg's attractions or back and forth to the train station a few times.

And it is not 2 miles. It is about 900 metres (just over 1/2 mile) as the crow flies so maybe 3/4 of a mile along the streets. I walked it many times when I was there.

Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Charley and Aramis. We went ahead and booked the Hotel Josephsplatz for our (4) nights.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 05:33 AM

Hotel Josephplatz has a wonderful breakfast, too, included in the rate. (At least it was one year ago). You'll love the hotel!
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

I asked the hotel for directions from the train station to their hotel and they said the easiest way is to take a taxi. haha. I will have to go on google maps and get directions.
Old Jun 23rd, 2008, 10:17 AM

Hi RileyBug - you may want to take a look at www.hotel-elch.com. We stayed here 3 years ago to visit the Christmas markets and found it more than acceptable. We flew into Frankfurt, took the train to Nuernberg and walked to this hotel. They have a great restaurant on the street level. Have a wonderful time.
Susan