Search

Hotels in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2006, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Edinburgh

Hi,

Narrowing down our search for a hotel for three nights in Edinburgh in August.

What do you think.... The George - Roxburghe or Apex International ?

We were hoping for the Scotsman or Balmoral but they are booked - no surprise given the time of year.

Thanks !

Old Mar 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
ttt
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 01:23 AM

The order in which I would choose from those (and this reflects personal preference)is Apex, Roxburgh, George
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:43 AM

I do not know what you are talking about. So I have checked, and The Scotsman is available for the entire month of August, and I would imagine the Balmoral is also available for your dates which are only three nights out of the thirty one in August.

Look again!
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. Sheila I was hoping you would reply ! I've been following your Scotland advice and it's terrific.

I did check the Scotsman and it is indeed booked. As it turns out the Balmoral is s not booked - but more money than we want to spend.

Appreciate all your advice.

Carolyn
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 07:31 AM

Go to www.lhw.com and you will find that you can have a room at the Scotsman for the entire month of August. Although I always feel prices for Edinburgh are even more than deluxe properties in London which is quite wrong.
Old Mar 12th, 2006, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. This is good information. I was merely checking the hotel website and expedia.

Lesson learned
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed at Number 10 apartments in Edinburgh ?

Is is too far out of the way ?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 03:57 AM

I would rank your original 3 in the same order as Sheila.

I hadn't previously heard of No. 10 but it's on the fringes of the New Town & Stockbridge - more Stockbridge really. Stockbridge is a very nice, village-y kind of place; but you'd have a 10-15 minute walk uphill to the centre of town. Downhill at the end of the day, of course !
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Caroline. I appreciate your thoughts on this. I also was wondering about the walk and though we do enjoy a nice stroll just not sure that makes a lot of sense. Is it safe to walk around the outskirts of the city at night ?

I would greatly appreciate yours and Sheila's advice... It seems as though comments on tripadvisor are mixed for both the Apex International and the Roxburghe. The hotel that gets top marks is the Balmoral. Which at this point does have rooms and may be our best option.

Thanks again. I am really glad you responded as you have helped so many would be Scotland travelers on this site.

Carolyn
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
As a former Stockaree resident I'd hesitate to say No. 10 is in Stockbridge - maybe the "silk stocking fringe" a la Danube Street (nudge nudge wink wink.) Looks nice from its (hard-to-find BTW) website, www.hotelnumberten.com. Not encouraging, though, that the hotel's site refers to it being in walking distance from "Princess Street."
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. It sound as though it's too far out of the way. We'll keep looking.

Carolyn
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:51 AM

If you're thinking that No. 10 is too far out of the way, I believe that is not true.

Its neighborhood is lovely, very accessible to all the attractions in central Edinburgh, and there's excellent bus service on several streets a few yards from the hotel. It's more a residential than a commercial area.

It will benefit from less congestion and traffic noise than the George or Roxburghe, although certianly those are nice places. I wouldn't discount the northern edge of the New Town as a great location for staying in Edinburgh.

There are some pretty decent pubs within stagger range too, BTW.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not "out of the way" and is actually closer to the city center than all those hotels on the south side. The "apartments" look very nice,although I'd like a mat of some kind beside the bed. It's not a "hotel" though, they are apartments, but without kitchens or a dining room as far as I could see. I'm not sure what you do about eating.
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Gardyloo, I haven't heard "Stockaree" for a long time. I grew up in the Orchard Road area. Wasn't it No. 17 Danube Street?
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help. The maps certainly can be deceiving so knowing that it's not too out of the way helps.

The Number 10 website mentions a bar and restaurant but does not show a picture so I'm not sure what that's all about.

I like the look of Number 10 and the rooms seem spacious. Reviews on trip advisor are favorable as well.

Too many decisions !

Carolyn

PS - Gardyloo - stagger distance is always a consideration...
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:11 PM

<i>Wasn't it No. 17 Danube Street?</i>

How would I know?
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:21 PM

Hey; if you can afford the Balmoral it's a no-brainer!!
Old Mar 16th, 2006, 12:49 PM

Gardyloo, LOL!
Old Mar 17th, 2006, 12:02 AM

ckyle, Stockbridge is not exactly &quot;the outskirts of the city&quot; - it's only just outside the very centre. Anywhere that you are likely to be (i.e. anywhere other thabn a few housing schemes on the real outskirts) is safe to walk round at night. A few areas like Lothian Road may seem quite rowdy with lots of drunk young people roaming round at night, mainly at the weekend, but it's all perfectly safe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -