Hotels in Amsterdam

Feb 18th, 2002, 02:21 AM
RKB

Hotels in Amsterdam

Does anyone have any suggestions for a hotel in Amsterdam? I would like a clean, decent room - don't need any frills - but want to be close to the center of everything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Feb 18th, 2002, 03:16 AM
s.fowler

A'dam fills up fast and hotels in the central area can be pricey. For no frills and central location I'd recommend Hotel Agora -- nothing fancy, but you should get a non-canal view room for about $110.

Feb 18th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Mina

The Hotel Brouwer on the Singel canal is very central, clean, and reasonably priced, ie 80 Euros for a double room. The breakfast is great and the rooms are delightful. Most have canal views. There's even a small lift, which is quite unusual for small hotels in Amsterdam. It is very popular, however. I had to book four months in advance to ensure a reservation. I had tried three times before and failed!

Feb 19th, 2002, 12:06 AM
sb

Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Ibis in central Amsterdam? I stayed at an Ibis in Prague - it was perfect. Nice clean and quiet room, centrally located, very reasonably priced. Wondering if it is the same in Amsterdam.

Feb 19th, 2002, 01:28 AM
RKB

Thanks, Mina. But I can't find a website for the Hotel Brouwer. Do you know where I can find some rate/availability information?

Feb 19th, 2002, 02:30 AM
Pauline

RKB,

This one I have book marked

http://www.hotelbrouwer.nl/hoteleng.html

Feb 19th, 2002, 08:43 AM
RKB

Thank you for the website. Both the Hotel Agora and the Hotel Brouwer are full when we would like to go. Do you know of anywhere else?

Thanks!

Feb 19th, 2002, 10:07 AM
Thyra

When are you going? We are going to be there in April and our first two choices, Canal House and Ambassade were fully booked. Ended up booking the Hotel Filosoof (check out the Rants and Raves section of this forum) around 95. EUROs per night and got great reviews. Also avery responsive to email.

Feb 19th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Robyn

The Hotel Pulitzer is absolutely beautiful. Amsterdam is so small that practically everything is walking distance. It is a bunch of old homes all connected. The rooms are very nice and a decent size- large compared to European standards.

Feb 19th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Jules

I second Robyn's recommendation for the Hotel Pulitzer. Since it is a hotel made from a number (20 or 25?) of 17th century townhouses, all the rooms are different. It's been years since I stayed there, but I hear it's still lovely and underwent renovations in 2000.

Have a wonderful trip!

Feb 20th, 2002, 12:50 AM
RKB

Thanks again for the recommendations - but I couldn't find any rooms at the Hotel Pulitzer under 300 Euros! And, for the Hotel de Filosoffe, I can't find the 90 Euro rate. Help!

Feb 20th, 2002, 02:01 AM
Pauline

I'm booked into the Ambassade for 4 nights in September this year.
I was tossing up between Ambassade & The Estherea. You might like to check their site.

http://www.estherea.nl/

Feb 20th, 2002, 02:14 AM
Pauline

Meant to also include the following, for a general search of lots of hotels in the Netherlands.

http://www.bookings.nl/

Feb 20th, 2002, 02:43 AM
Jim Rosenberg

Here's a nice one that's reasonable: Mercure Arthur Frommer. I've put some notes and a pic in my travel journal on it. Go to:

http://www.igougo.com/planning/journalEntryAccommodation.asp?JournalID=1985&EntryID=1286

You'll find it on some booking engines and I believe I booked it through Northwest WorldVacations, which will sometimes allow you to book hotel rooms alone, without airfare.

Happy Contrails!

Feb 20th, 2002, 04:41 AM
AC

RKB:
Try www.goldentulip.com they have many hotels in Amsterdam. My favorite is the Doelen. The last time I was there though it was full. I stayed at the SAS Radisson, which was very nice. Have a great trip!

Feb 20th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Julie

RKB, You might want to try to following since it seems to meet your requirements. However, you didn't say when you were going and I've noticed that most of the places you've already tried are filled. Anyway, here is the info:

Hotel Uptown (Budget – Single Room Ensuite 155 Dutch Guilders in 2000)
Korte Leidsedswarsstraat 147
1017 PZ Amsterdam
020/428-3125 phone
020/428-3105 fax
hoteluptown.com or [email protected]

You might also want to look into some of the bigger hotels on the off-chance that they might have some last-minute deals or packages. Happy hunting!

Feb 20th, 2002, 08:38 AM
RKB

I just replied but it didn't show up - I hope I didn't post it in the wrong string! Oh well. Anyway, Golden Tulip is booked, Mercure is out of my price range, and I am still waiting to hear back from Hotel Uptown! Obviously Amsterdam is a very popular place, especially in April when I am trying to go! I looked into the Ibis Hotel Stopera and it is VERY reasonably priced and located centrally - I will probably just book there since it is actually available. Thank you all for your suggestions! I'm so glad that I found this site - it has been really helpful.

Feb 20th, 2002, 09:09 AM
Thyra

RKB, try emailing the Filosoof and getting a rate quote... we also will be there in April, so the price should be the same...(I think one of the problems you are having and why our first two choices were booked is that they are having some kind of convention or conference there. Oh sorry our room rate is $122.00 which I think comes out to around $95.00 USD or so. either way, it's a pretty good price. Try emailing the Filosoof.

Feb 20th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Thyra

OOps let me clarify... just did a currency conversion.. as of this moment 122.00 Euros is $106.00 US Dollars. Which is our rate for mid-April

Feb 21st, 2002, 07:00 AM
xxx

Of course the exchange rate will fluctuate. China may be trading a significant portion of their foreign reserve of dollars to euros. Don't know how much this will strengthen the euro vs the dollar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO