Hotels in Aix/Babette

Search

Hotels in Aix/Babette

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in Aix/Babette

Babette, Im going to Aix in October for three nights and wonder if you could recommed, a hotel my budget is about 150 Euros .I have been before and stayed at Villa Gallici, but its not in the budget this time but thats the type of place i like.
Old Aug 6th, 2003, 02:07 AM

The only other Michelin recommendation for Aix is Le Pigonnet which is a quiet Small Luxury Hotel situated in a beautiful garden (Cezanne used to paint there) within easy walking distance to the town center. The restaurant is great too with meals served on a terrace in the garden, weather permitting.

I've also heard that many people like the Mas d'Entrement (you may want to search this message board for comments on this property) but it's not right in town.

Hotel des Augustins is a neat old place (was a 12th century convent) which is right in the center of town -- which is a good thing if you want to be right in the middle of things but may be a bad thing if you are looking for peace and quiet.

The Mercure Paul-Cezanne is another popular choice, though I don't know much about it.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:20 AM
Original Poster

Babette thanks for the reply I think I will go with mas d Entrement,I did read recently that the hotel Negre Coste I think thats what its called , had been re furbished but nobody mentions it hear, I saw it in the Conde Naste Traveller Magazine.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 02:06 AM

Everyone seems to love that place but be aware that it's not in town. It's actually on the freeway and you would have to drive into town and park, which is a huge hassle, in my opinion. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the Negre Coste, but you ought to be able to e-mail them and inquire about the renovations.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:52 PM
Original Poster

Hi Babette,
You have me worried now, I might have a rethink, I will need a car while Im there because I want to go out of town on Sathurday and Sunday , and getting to and from the Airport, so I dont think I can avoid, driving in Aix , i dont like driving as it happens,
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 01:23 AM

Donie,
Driving AROUND Aix is not a problem; it's just driving IN Aix that is difficult (and by that I mean Centre Ville). That is one of the nice things about Le Pigonnet. They have free parking, and easy freeway access, but you can walk to Centre Ville in less than 10 minutes.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 03:03 AM
Original Poster

Babette,
Le Pigonnet, would really be the best choice as you suggest its just that they gave me a rate for a standard double of 250 euros without breakfast ,which again wasnt really within my budget, Mas d'Entremont is about 100 euros cheaper so it makes it seem better value,
As I have quite a few trips planned in the next few months Im trying not to overspend on hotels, so its always a bit of a compromise, Since your reply I have gone back to Le Pigonnet to see if they can do a better rate .So wait and see, in the meantime thanks again for you help,
Dan.
Old Aug 8th, 2003, 09:34 AM

I stayed at Mas d'Entremont year before last and absolutely loved it. It is the best value hotel I've ever stayed in as their rates are so reasonable, but the hotel is absolutely wonderful and the people very nice, plus there is an outstanding in-house restaurant. The rooms are huge, as is the bathroom, and they have a small private foyer and private terrace. I didn't have a deluxe room, either.

It's not on the freeway, however, if that term is used to mean the major highways of A8 (Route de Soleil) or A51. It is just off national road N7 which runs NW from Aix. I thought that was extremely convenient to be right off that major road as it was great for driving to the Luberon, Avignon or going quickly to Marseille. The hotel is not difficult to find as there are signs on N7 just a little NW of Aix's borders marking it's entrance road. I will admit it was difficult for me to find the way to get onto the N7 leading NW from Aix from the major highway around Aix, and to get onto that from central Aix. Once I did it, it wasn't hard the next time, however. Basically, you have to go out of town west from the main road that leads out of the Place de la Liberation in the center of the city, as I recall.

However, if you don't know Aix streets at all, I do think Pigonnet could be easier in that regard. Of course the parking is free at Mas d'Entremont, also.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Christina,
Lovely to get a second opinion, I had a think about it over the week-end and confirmed my reservation this morning , before seeing your reply,I feel better now hearing from you and compared to staying in Aix , it does seem better value even if the driving is a bit of a hassle.
Many Thanks
Donie.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

Babette,
If you see a very frustrated Irishman trying to park , in Aix around the middle of October , then it will probaly be me,
Thank you for all your help.
Donie,
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 05:24 AM

Donie, It shouldn't be that bad in October. I like Parking Mignet. It's a covered garage only 2 blocks from Cours Mirabeau and there is always space there.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 11:34 AM

Parking in Aix was a little confusing to me, at least the streets, but I was there in summer and it was very crowded. When you come in from Mas d'Entremont, you are basically on the main street that runs into the center Place de la Liberation. If you go around that a bit to the right and then onto Victor Hugo (towards the train station), there is a big public garage there. It was full in July, however, so I had to use one down south a bit, near a library.

You don't say where you will be coming from, but finding Mas d'Entremont is easy if you come in on route N7 from the west (from Avignon direction). I don't have a good map here, but you just know to look for it when you are approaching Aix -- it's on the right (south) side of the road if you come from Cavaillon/Senas direction. That road is not a super huge highway, so you don't worry so much driving slower and looking for the sign.

I did get lost trying to get into and across Aix from Marseille airport onto the N7 to find the hotel upon arrival. I knew the general direction I wanted to be, just could not figure out how to get there. I got on the Route de Soleil by mistake and that was scary and you cannot get off that thing for miles, and they drive very fast. I ended up getting off the A8 around Pelissane, I think, and then coming back in on N7 to find the hotel. I would not want to try this in late afternoon or evening when it's getting dark. Maybe you are better with logistics than I, but I'm actually pretty good with maps and driving. I had the Michelin yellow map, also, but it wasn't even that detailed for the streets in and around Aix, in my opinion.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Original Poster

Babette/Christiana
You are too kind both of you, I will be travelling from Marseille , I will keep all this detailed information with me , and Im sure we will be fine , and at least Im off to a good start with the benefit of you experience.
Thank you again for all your help.
Regards Donie.